X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deb
    replied
    Thank you for keeping us updated Lorri,

It must be so stressful for you. You deserve to feel very proud of yourself for the love and devotion you show to your mum.

You take care,
    Love Debbie x

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Lori, I canโ€™t add much to all the lovely forum users that have commented already. But I wanted to send you and your mum positive energy over the network. This must be very exhausting for all of you. I hope that solutions are found rapidly. Love Lynne x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Thanks for the update Lorri. Your compassion and kindness come across beautifully in how you write about your mum, whom you clearly love deeply.

Look after yourself too.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• lorri66
    replied
    Thought I would update you as you've been so kind.
    The routine resp appt went ok, mum is stable although her bicarb level has gone up a tiny bit to 33 and the carbon dioxide is 5.4. Just encouraged her to use the ventilator more at night, but she finds it hard if saliva isn't good and she really has exhausted all the treatments/medications for this.
    She gave back the cough assist as completely hates it!
    The mucous will apparently just get worse as time goes on because thats the nature of the disease and with cough getting weaker she find it hard to clear. The doctor said her biggest risk is a chest infection but so far she has never had one.
    Going to see he again in 4 months so that was reassuring to my mum to think they are expecting her to be 'above ground' as she puts it, in June.

the hospice doctor ad nurse are calling in later to reassess her as the doctor hasn't seen her for few months, the nurse visited a couple weeks ago.

She has lost some weight, around 4lbs but don't think the dietician is overly concerned as some of this will be muscle loss. My mum feels she wants to gain a couple pounds though for strength. she's 78 now and I cant see her getting any stronger physically but she is still totally self caring and lives on her own with one of us going in everyday just to reduce her loneliness and do the odd things for she cant do.

Lorri x

Leave a comment:

• GaryM
    replied
    Originally posted by Graham View Post
    I thought they put Ensure in tractors. Pretty horrid stuff.

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    I thought they put Ensure in tractors. Pretty horrid stuff.

It sounds like your mum needs a comprehensive CHC (nursing) care package.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Spot on GaryM Ensure is heavy on milk protein.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    That's great news Lorri - it must have taken quite a bit of courage for your mum to accept those appointments, facing her demons can't be easy.

If she's comfortable with using the nebuliser, maybe they'll prescribe some drugs to use in it for the mucus. Pineapple juice works by thinning the mucus, it's another weapon against the plague, lots of water too as dehydration makes secretions thicker and stickier - hopefully the hospice doctor will have ideas next week when she is seen face-to-face.

There are supplementary high fat drinks for helping to stem weight loss, such as Calogen (dairy free) so maybe ask her GP or hospice doctor. These don't replace her food, but are extra, high energy calories. On dairy increasing mucus, it's worth trying if dairy affected her mucus production previously, but unfortunately it's not the driving force for this mucus...

Another thing to ask the hospice people is to help you do a CHC application for your mum (Continuing HealthCare = CHC) for funded care. This explains what CHC is: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social...ng-healthcare/

And well done you!!

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Have you seen what ensure does out of the bottle? Hardens to something like steel and coats the washing up sink in blotches. What it does inside us the good lord only knows. ๐Ÿ˜x

Leave a comment:

• GaryM
    replied
    Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
    Pineapple juice really does help decrease flem. Milk encourages but I like a little bit in my daily coffee. ๐Ÿ˜x
    As the Ensure drinks are based on milk (I think) don't they create mucus? I'm sure Ellie will tell us.

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Pineapple juice really does help decrease flem. Milk encourages but I like a little bit in my daily coffee. ๐Ÿ˜x

Leave a comment:

• Bowler
    replied
    Thatโ€™s really good news and a giant leap forward. Well done you and weโ€™ll done mum

Leave a comment:

• lorri66
    replied
    The hospice doctor and nurse are visiting next week, she also has a respiratory appointment but doesn't want to go as they cant cure her and she really doesn't want to if things like carbon dioxide has gone up or bicarb levels up too. We have said to her they need to check the ventilator settings etc so she has reluctantly agreed.
    She is definitely calmer this week but has started on a lorazepam each day, half morning and half before bed as she says wants good sleep.
    The mucous is just the bane of her life, the only thing she likes using is the nebuliser.

She has lost a bit of weight too but she is blaming anxiety and the soya food but this has same calories as the normal food so I'm not sure. My sister convinced her to try non dairy in the hope it might help the secretions.

Graham what does the care package consist of please?

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    Please be aware that mucus secretions can be deadly, as a mucus plug may form in the throat.

Your mum URGENTLY needs a care package paid for by society. You may need to fight those who think 'Society doesn't exist.'.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Oh Lorri I really hope your Mum accepts the bed in the hospice - it could be her chance to get her meds right, give her a better outlook on life and their physio might look at how she uses the machines.

Fingers crossed.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X