Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomach issues

Hi everyone.
    over the weekend I have noticed that my dads stomach appears to be gurgling a lot and he has had some constipation. Could this be related to the mnd?
    The gurgling is so loud but I don't think.it is hunger as such.
    sorry if this is a daft question this is all.just so new to us.
    thanks

Rest assured there are no daft questions. Sorry I can’t help but someone will along shortly no doubt

Comment

My stomach sounds like a band took a wrong turn. You're right it's not always hunger as it can be dealing with food or preparing to evacuate. I think our general wastage erodes the usual sound proofing. 😄
      Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Yes mine makes a right racket and also feels like it’s sucking my peg tube from inside 🥴
        Janette x

Comment

MW6 Is it definitely his stomach which is gurgling and not his intestines/bowels?

If it is his stomach, it could indeed be hunger, especially as your dad has swallowing issues.

Is he in pain with it - trapped air? Again, his swallow issues may mean he is swallowing a lot of air. x
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

ellie how would you know if it is stomach and not intestines/bowels? sorry if it seems a daft question but i thought i really wouldnt know. is it position of rumbling or what? trying to get stephen to explain to me where his stomach complaint was coming from was a nightmare. its times like this when knowing whats under the skin is a bit of a mystery.

Comment

Denise, if you have Stephen point (or indicate) to where the noise is, you can generally tell where it's coming from, or put your ear on his upper abdomen for his stomach, near his feeding tube (it's higher up than many people think) Bowel noise is slightly lower down and may be more to the sides. To me, they feel quite different - maybe because I am alert for bowel gurgles as they mean immediate action is needed!! (trip to the loo) x
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you everyone. He just keeps saying he is fine but I am noticing more and more 😪

Comment

Working...
                X