Exercise for hands/fingers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise for hands/fingers

Stephen had about 3 weeks of physio. His hands are in a bad way and I'm hoping there's something that can be done to help. I've asked him what he did? What exercises but I'm getting no where. Any ideas? Any YouTube vids? Anything please. I'm guessing soon he won't be able to smoke. If he does he's at risk of setting fire to himself. 🤔 think that would be a carrot enough but he's just happy to not even try 😟

Hello Denise
    I use various techniques
    soft foam ball squeezing
    pegs
    bull dog clips
    linking paper clips together , hold one in one hand and use the other hand to manipulate
    stacking coins and unstacking
    touching thumb to other finger tips
    and generally keep them active
    jigsaw puzzles or Lego, even playing cards it’s a case of finding dexterity limit and trying a different way ,
    As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
      His hands are in a bad way
      Can you elaborate please, Denise - weak fingers, clawed fingers etc?

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Denise,

I find that the therapy putty is best. I was given some after I broke my fingers in a fall and the therapist showed me how to use it to improve flexibility in the hand. There are different strengths and it is widely available on Amazon. I’m not suggesting that it will work for Stephen but it may prolong the use of his hands. X
        I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Thanks Barry I will look into that.

it's both Ellie his fingers are distorted and he has problems picking things up. Can't open the car door, turn a key, difficulty with cutlery. Fags are keeping him going but what he will do when he can't do that. I know smoking isn't ideal but there's not much left to enjoy. 😐

Comment

Exercise aside, do you think something like this would enable Stephen to hold a fag?

Comment

That looks interesting. Where did you find that Ellie?

Comment

That’s on Amazon: Kuangmi Finger Sleeve Support Protector.
                I am sure there are alternatives, it was really to show you there may be solutions. x

Comment

Thank you will have a look xx

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                    Hello Denise
                    I use various techniques
                    soft foam ball squeezing
                    pegs
                    bull dog clips
                    linking paper clips together , hold one in one hand and use the other hand to manipulate
                    stacking coins and unstacking
                    touching thumb to other finger tips
                    and generally keep them active
                    jigsaw puzzles or Lego, even playing cards it’s a case of finding dexterity limit and trying a different way ,
                    Excellent easy suggestions. Thank you.

Richard
                    Richard

Comment

Hi Shaun and Richard. Yes I was thinking along those lines. Picking things up. Buttons, coins anything. Ok I'm on it I said 11am today he's going to be exercising his fingers. 😊

Comment

How do people find a balance between exercise and overuse. Last October I did some gardening and must have overused my right arm. I had pain in my shoulder, arm and hand that lasted for weeks and yet when I was doing the gardening I didn't feel anything. I bought some theraputty, but I don't use it. In fact I don't do any exercise at all. Is this a mistake? I've always had strong legs, maybe that's why I can still stand up, but they're getting weaker. If I exercise them won't they just be more tired by the end of the day?
                        Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

That's a very good question Gary.

Comment

Gary we found exercising in a pool was really good. You get movement without strain. We were lucky in that we got allocated time at the hospital hydro pool. This taught us the best / safest way to exercise. We were also fortunate that our daughter got us free exclusive access to a hydro pool where she works. Ok it was a 200 mile round trip but Ann loved it. We put the tunes on and the grandkids joined in with the exercises. After that ended because travelling became too much we used a combination of Spain and local swimming pool that had all the changing and hoisting facilities. It was amazing to see Ann walking across the pool on her own when she needed a walker / chair on land.

Comment

I'm thinking gentle exercise. Physio had Stephen gently lifting his legs and arm massage. At least that's what I'm getting from Stephen 🤔

Comment

Working...
                              X