Exercise for hands/fingers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GaryM View Post
    How do people find a balance between exercise ....In fact I don't do any exercise at all. Is this a mistake? I've always had strong legs, maybe that's why I can still stand up, but they're getting weaker. If I exercise them won't they just be more tired by the end of the day?
    Hi Gary little and often ,
    my physio is of the opinion that gentle exercise is better than none at all, it’s a case of keeping things working, our bodies are quite clever at adapting, so when one muscle starts weakening another one takes over, I have a knee exercise for example which is less than an inch in movement
    the ‘no pain no gain rule’ does not apply,

resistence bands are quite good as well, as they come in different strengths so it just a case of creating a small degree of resistance, I use them for my legs and shoulders
    As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Thanks for that Shaun.

Comment

GaryM The amount and type of 'exercise' one does/should do/should not do is very dependent on what stage one is at, or more precisely, what stage an individual limb or muscle is at, and that's where the physiotherapist *should* come in - I am quite aware that regular access to a physio is like winning the lottery, and that's where your local hospice can come up trumps in giving access to a physio.

The advice is to keep muscles and joints moving, so obvs that means different things to different people - not all of us aspired to run a 10k before our diagnosis and we're not going to turn into gym bunnies now.

Gary, if you want to try keeping your legs moving, try a floor pedal machine (with variable resistance) Some can be used for arms too.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I have a pedalling machine. I used to use it every day, until one day when I overdid it and ended up with severe pain in my hip the next day. Physio told me to use it with no resistance to maintain range of movement.
          Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Then you are doing some exercise, Gary 👍👍
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I've just had a worrying thought that my muscle wastage might be due to sitting on my bum every day doing nothing rather than the MND. 😉

Probably is the MND though.
              Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Probably both. I keep saying to Stephen 10 minutes in the morning and 10 in the afternoon. Gentle exercise. Short walk. Don't know why because I'm talking to myself.

He's just been told off for not eating enough. He's been told if he doesn't gain weight he's going to get his arse kicked. Music to my ears. 😊

Comment

It's the way that you kick his arse that counts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VAk9wm0nw

And the way I talk is the way I talk...

The Way I Walk (The Cramps music video) - YouTube

hugs xxxx
                  Last edited by Graham; 23 April 2021, 03:17.
                  Copyright Graham

Comment

Working...
                  X