Cough assist machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cough assist machine

Now we have another toy to play with. Stephen has a cough assist machine and like everything else he's not keen. I can't figure out if he should have the all important fag before or after ๐Ÿค”. I also imagined all those years of fag gunk being disturbed. There could be any unknown species hiding ready to come out. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

It's definitely making him cough more and i don't know if that's a good thing or bad. I'm thinking if he still wants to eat something by mouth should it before he uses the machine? Don't want him coughing mid bacon sandwich and choking. ๐Ÿค”

any advice would be most welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š

wish I could help - this will be you helping me later on!
    Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Denise, definitely not on a full stomach anyway!!! xx
      โ€‹Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

โ€‹

Comment

Thanks guys. He's supposed to be 4pm on the machine but he's hiding outside with his fags. Not sure why I bother.

I need to trip him up so I can practice with Ellie's belt.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Comment

I'd probably be put off by the regimented "do it at 4pm" order, tbh. Sneak up behind him when he least expects it and put the mask on his face ๐Ÿ˜…
          It does feel strange and can feel rough at times, hence the empty stomach.

If it doesn't bother him Denise, please try not to let it bother you, hard though that is! You know what he's like... xx

โ€‹

Comment

Oh do I know what he's like ๐Ÿ˜ค

I have to set times or we forget. So it's probably 10am plus 2 hours but the intention was there.

suppose I could wrap the belt round him. Sit on him and hold the mask in place. Worth a try.

Comment

could you wrap the belt around his mouth while he has the mask on!!!!!!!!!!
              Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Oh yeah! See posting problems on here always finds a solution.

probably should put a footnote that the mnda does not support these actions. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

Comment

Ellie I know this sounds like a daft question as it's called a cough assist machine but why do we want to encourage coughing and what's it doing?

sometimes I feel we are given equipment, but we don't know why, what it does and do we want it in the first place.

Comment

Im lucky my throat is too weak for the cough assist hence my increased drugs. ๐Ÿ˜‰x
                    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜xx

Comment

Oh Matthew. A big hug and a kiss ๐Ÿ˜š

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                        Ellie I know this sounds like a daft question as it's called a cough assist machine but why do we want to encourage coughing and what's it doing?

sometimes I feel we are given equipment, but we don't know why, what it does and do we want it in the first place.
                        Cough assist machine is for when your diaphragm has deteriorated so your cough isnโ€™t strong enough to bring gunk up. The cough assist is supposed to do what itโ€™s name suggests and 'assist coughing.โ€™ Weโ€™d want help in this regard if our chest or throat is gunked up and needs clearing. I was given a cough assist machine because Iโ€™d had some phlegm issues but after I was given the machine I sorted out the phlegm by drinking pineapple juice every day. When I tried the cough assist machine it made it harder for me to cough. So whenโ€™s I eventually need it the settings would probably need changing. Lynne x
                        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                          ... why do we want to encourage coughing and what's it doing?
                          Good question - coughing removes mucus from the lungs. Mucus can contain all sorts of nasties, which can cause chest infections; chest infections are bad...

So, in a nutshell, coughing keeps lungs healthier, and using a cough asist machine simulates a cough for those who can't effectively cough. It can also help maintaining lung volume. xx

โ€‹

Comment

Thanks for that Ellie. If I tell him why he has it he might use it.

yeah and pigs fly. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Comment

I am using a cough assist machine, but not in earnest. I am supposed to practice every day and obviously use it in an emergency if I am choking.
                              My cough is very weak, but also by using it every day, I have found my airway seems clearer.
                              Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
                              Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
                              Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

Working...
                              X