Dad Newly Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daught21 View Post

That's a really good point. There isn't really anyone because my Dad has a strong southern Irish accent (even though he has lived in England for 60 years) and none of his brothers live here.

That's good food for thought though. My brother would most probably do it but I think he'd quite like to keep his Irish accent 🤣🤣

I'm really not sure how it works. Would his brother in Ireland be able to do it?

Thank you xx
    Hi Daught21, welcome to the forum under sad circumstances. We’ll all help as much as we can.

I’m sure it’s technically possible for anyone anywhere to record the phrases required for voice banking. All that’s needed is a smart phone, tablet or a computer (with a good microphone) and Internet access. The processing of the recordings and the creation of the new ‘voice’ is done by some complex means remotely. It is quite a complicated process though and I knew nothing about it at all until my excellent speech and language therapist (SLT) explained it all. Hopefully your MND Nurse will put you in touch with an SLT quite quickly and you can work out how to proceed. If I had an Irish accent I’m sure I’d prefer to keep it 😀
    Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

Comment

Hello Catherine and Dad. Welcome our grotty sort of club

Comment

Daught21 Voice banking is done remotely, so your dad's brother technically should be able to record the phrases needed to generate a banked voice, irrespective of where he lives. Whether or not this is available in practice is another thing... xx
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPan View Post

Hi Daught21, welcome to the forum under sad circumstances. We’ll all help as much as we can.

I’m sure it’s technically possible for anyone anywhere to record the phrases required for voice banking. All that’s needed is a smart phone, tablet or a computer (with a good microphone) and Internet access. The processing of the recordings and the creation of the new ‘voice’ is done by some complex means remotely. It is quite a complicated process though and I knew nothing about it at all until my excellent speech and language therapist (SLT) explained it all. Hopefully your MND Nurse will put you in touch with an SLT quite quickly and you can work out how to proceed. If I had an Irish accent I’m sure I’d prefer to keep it 😀
          Thank you so much PeterPan I really appreciate it. I will speak to the nurse on Tuesday. The consultant mentioned Dad would see a speech and language therapist at some point. I'm worried he will be very overwhelmed but I shall be with him every step of the way 🥰🥰

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
            Daught21 Voice banking is done remotely, so your dad's brother technically should be able to record the phrases needed to generate a banked voice, irrespective of where he lives. Whether or not this is available in practice is another thing... xx
            Thank you Ellie 💕💕

Comment

Originally posted by Gordan1111 View Post
              Hello Catherine and Dad. Welcome our grotty sort of club
              Thanks Gordan1111 😊

Comment

Hello Catherine and a warm welcome to the forum from me.

I won't add to the good advice you've had so far except to say make sure you look after yourself too. The early days are overwhelming so it's good you all have support. You sound like a brilliant, caring daughter.

Take Care,
                Love Debbie x

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                  Hello Catherine and a warm welcome to the forum from me.

I won't add to the good advice you've had so far except to say make sure you look after yourself too. The early days are overwhelming so it's good you all have support. You sound like a brilliant, caring daughter.

Take Care,
                  Love Debbie x
                  Hi Deb

Thank you so much.

I am struggling at the moment. Think it's really starting to sink in all honesty the same for my Dad and the rest of the family, but as you say it is early days.

I feel guilty for laughing with my family, like this evening when we were having a BBQ and leaving my Dad at home wondering how he is feeling. I keep thinking about future events and feel I can't look forward to anything due to thinking how can I be happy when all this is happening. I just know for a fact my Dad would not want me to feel like that so I keep pushing along.

I sure this feeling is completely normal, but it's just heartbreaking 💔

Comment

Daught21 Please, please don't feel guilty about laughing and living! As you said, your dad wouldn't want you to be sad all of the time - plus, that old cliché of "life goes on" applies to your dad, as much as it does to you and to everyoe else.

It's also important that we, those with the MND, learn to laugh and continue to live a life - it'd be a horrible existence if you or your dad thought that life from now on shought be gloomy. Laughter is good: good for the body, good for the mind and, as you see from this forum, we've retained a sense of humour.

I like to hear laughter in my house and I'm quite sure your dad is the same. So, don't hush his grandchildren, don't temper your laughter or joie de vivre, don't treat him any differently (he's still the same dad) - positivity and happiness plays an important part in how everyone handles illness.

Love Ellie.

Comment

Thank you Ellie you are so right and that is just what I needed to hear.

I went to see Dad today and he seemed quite down so I will endeavour to promote happiness and laughter at all times. My Dad is much better on a morning so I'm taking my youngest daughters (twins) to see him in the morning and he will absolutely love that. It will give him a happy start to the day.

I am guilty of trying to do things for him so I need to take a step back.

Sorry for the gloomy post. You are all amazing and the laughter on here is so apparent.

Much love xx

Comment

It's true Laughter IS the best medicine. 🤣😂😅😆😍xx
                        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Hi Catherine,
                          I too want my husband, friends and family to enjoy their lives and treat me the same as they always have.I can’t say I am looking forward to using the predictable app but it will mean I can communicate at some level.
                          I find as symptoms take hold Inlearn to adapt.
                          I still enjoy life ..yesterday evening we sat in our garden and had a take away.I only eat a small amount but enjoyed the normality of laughing with friends.
                          Another hot day and friends coming late morning..promises to be another feat day.
                          yesterday I also did powered wheelchair assessment ...another hurdle managed.When chair was first delivered it looked so big and heavy.I now am so glad to have it even though I don’t go out alone.
                          Really hope your dad and you enjoy the days..I do of course have times when I get upset but usually this passes quickly as remind myself it’s good to let emotions go but not become overwhelming.
                          Like Ellie said it’s good to hear laughter..my 7 grandchildren come weekly and I love to sit outside and watch them play .The youngest grandson aged 5 sees joy in everything ..It’s a joy to witness hit.
                          Best wishes
                          Mary

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
                            It's true Laughter IS the best medicine. 🤣😂😅😆😍xx
                            It certainly is matthew55 🤣😁😊

Comment

Hi Mary 💕

That's so lovely to read - thank you so much xx

Comment

For me, nothing reinforces my terminal diagnosis more than people treating me with kid gloves and pussyfooting around me - just treat me as you always did, please... 🥰🥰 🤗🤗

Comment

Working...
                                X