Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential Diagnosis for elderly father (89)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good evening all.

So we got Dad in front of a neurologist this morning. Onward referrals now to SALT, a headscan, an EMG and he has had today’s obligatory blood test.

( to recap Dad is 89, his legs have now stopped working and he has deteriorating bulbar signs in his speech- his arms and hands still work).

What was really interesting was that his tongue fasciculations were not on display today. But obviously she respected previous attendant’s observations of them to refer him on for an EMG.

So whilst we wait on those tests and a final review I’d like to say I’ve learned a lot from the association and much more from the forum. Even if my Dad has not got ALS/MND we are another family aware of the impact of the disease and will be doing what I can going forward to support research, care and understanding.

I’ll be back with final diagnosis at an unknown date- I reckon about July, we could draw lots!

In the meantime best wishes to you and on behalf of my Dad and family thanks for your help and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by John_1971 View Post
      What was really interesting was that his tongue fasciculations were not on display today.
      In the overall diagnostic evaluation John, the presence or absence of fasciculations is almost irrelevant - the EMG is looking at how a muscle responds to stimulation and, even during the testing itself, it doesn't matter if your dad has zero fascics. xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
        In the overall diagnostic evaluation John, the presence or absence of fasciculations is almost irrelevant - the EMG is looking at how a muscle responds to stimulation and, even during the testing itself, it doesn't matter if your dad has zero fascics. xx
        Yes indeed professor 😊. That is pretty much what the neurologist would have said if only she had been so politely eloquent. She just said ‘the EMG will show me”…

Comment

Good evening

I skipped the endless lengthy responses to the original post, (my positive thoughts and support are with you amily and friends).

I agree with others that regular EMG testing is key to the possible early diagnosis of MND and that the possibility of being diagnosed with MND should be allowed to be taken on board as early as possible.

Wishing you and family well.

Comment

Working...
          X