Thinking of you and your Dad. x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    DeniseB-C Thinking of you Denise. xx

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    DeniseB-C Sorry to hear the DNs couldn't help. hope he is getting really good care in the hospice. Sending love to you all x

Leave a comment:

• DeniseB-C
    replied
    Dad was moved to the local hospice on Tuesday as we were advised that the DN’s didn’t have the capacity to come every day to deal with a syringe driver at home.

So hospice it had to be. He is now receiving meds via a syringe driver and was mostly unresponsive when I went there last night. It is very upsetting. I pray his body will allow him to slip away soon

take care everyone.

Leave a comment:

• DeniseB-C
    replied
    Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words.

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    DeniseB-C Thinking of you all too xx

Leave a comment:

• Tabbycat
    replied
    DeniseB-C thinking of you at this difficult time. Thank you for sharing x

Leave a comment:

• Claireflo
    replied
    I'm sure it will have brought your dad a lot of comfort to have had his family with him at this difficult time. I hope they can make him comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• Piglet
    replied
    DeniseB-C thinking of you at this time. Best wishes that your Dad is comfortable and pain free.xx

Leave a comment:

• DeniseB-C
    replied
    As always, thank you Ellie for your knowledge and compassion.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    DeniseB-C Oh Denise, I really feel for you and can only imagine how I'd feel if it were my own lovely dad we were discussing.

Normally at this stage meds are delivered continously via a syringe driver (pump) through a little plastic tube or needle inserted into a person's arm, tummy or thigh.

The meds are gradually pumped in and the syringe is replaced with new meds every 12/24hrs. Meds given include painkillers, antisickness, secretion stoppers and sedatives.

If the hospice staff think your dad's wishes can be best met in the hospice itself where there are nurses on hand 24/7, and if there are no strong family arguements against it, it does sound reasonable for your dad to go there, presumably by ambulance.

If your dad has a strong wish to stay at home, in theory that is just as doable.

Wishing you strength.

Love Ellie xxx

Leave a comment:

• DeniseB-C
    replied
    Hello everyone. I hope all are as as well as can be.

Over the weekend my dads breathing has worsened and his oramorph dose has been increased to be taken every 2 hours instead of 4 but when it begins to wear off it is most distressing to watch. He has now taken the decision to withdraw his peg feed. As this is his only form of nourishment we have been in contact with the hospice about making him comfortable during this process. Hospice nurse is speaking to the doctor tomorrow morning about the next steps but has indicated that if he wanted to be fully sedated this would need to be at the hospice rather than at home. His last peg feed was overnight Friday.

I knew my dad would eventually come to this decision but I don’t really know what to expect. I feel he is making a very brave decision and taking the last bit of control he can, but I am scared about how end of life will look for him now he has opted for this route.

Leave a comment:

• DeniseB-C
    replied
    Always something. He’s already taking daily laxatives as it is.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    DeniseB-C Oh btw, he can expect some constipation from taking morphine, I'm sorry to say 😬

Leave a comment:

Working...
X