Itchy scalp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itchy scalp

Stephen has got, well it looks like cradle cap, his scalp has scabs that seem damp rather than dry and flaky and he seems to have a lot of dandruff. He frequently says he has an itchy head. He hadn't had a shower for weeks (4) but I decided the other day that enough was enough we cant go on like this or I'm verging on neglect. So I put him in the shower terrified he would fall. Nothing like being confident when you feel catastrophy looming. I've been using baby shampoo the no tears version as he always complained about it going in his eyes. I thought this would help his scalp but it just made it worse. Any ideas?
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

denise I used this years ago when I had bad scalp. Worth a try.
    Polytar Shampoo, 150 ml https://amzn.eu/d/16jA8ZH
    Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

I'd love to try shampoo but I cant get him in the shower. I did the other day but really not sure I should do that again. Dont think I could get him over the sink either. Could try him out on the balcony with a watering can. It's an option but I've just had a terrible time getting him out of a garden chair. I really thought we had reached that moment, I've been dreading, that I cant move him. No idea what I do then.

International rescue!!!! 😊

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
        Stephen has got, well it looks like cradle cap, his scalp has scabs that seem damp rather than dry and flaky and he seems to have a lot of dandruff.
        If Stephen had a decent GP, I'd suggest that his scalp should be examined.

I suspect any underlying cause and the symptoms are being exacerbated by the lack of washing resulting in a build up of dead skin cells and, erm, crud.

IDK if a comb/soft brush would help or perhaps take photos and show the pharmacist? I reckon it needs cleaning and care with special products
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks. That's an idea. Could use an online pharmacy.
          😘

Comment

denise we use a portable basin on a stand. I’m upright in my wheelchair and it comes over my shoulders. The carers like it loads better than that silly blow-up bed bath contraption I was first given.

I hope this link works, my tech skills are fading faster than my hands.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Ro...s%2C159&sr=8-7

I’ve had to experiment with shampoo. Baby shampoo might be mild but I didn’t find that my hair felt clean.
            Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

Maria C now that looks interesting. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X