• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nunhead_man
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2017

Introductions to areas – having to move

The current MNDA housing campaign misses a major issue - it is all very well to campaign for bigger grants to convert properties, but there are those of us living through MND who live in houses that are not suitable for conversion because of their shape or size - which is where I am.

At present the help I have had is limited to being told that the house in which we live is not suitable for conversion should I ever need to be in a wheelchair, which is my likely destination.

I am posting here because we are looking at moving from central London to somewhere in the south east of England and in particular would like contacts to talk to in these areas;
    • Portsmouth
    • Southampton
    • Lewis

Thank you all in advance
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

moving

Could you swap to a council property ,we nearly had one 25 years ago,Heres portsmouth.gov.uk, southampton.gov.uk,Lewes.gov.uk, they all contain advice on council and private housing.
    Last edited by Guest; 27 October 2019, 17:34. Reason: extra addresses

Comment

• nunhead_man
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2017

Hi there

Thank you for the thought

I think probably not as we would have some difficulty getting onto the housing register?

Partly because we would be seen as intentionally homeless as we are moving out of central London and partly because as we already have our own place we will be seen as too rich to take local authority or housing association property.

I mention housing associations because quite a lot of local authority housing was vested in housing associations at the point where local authority tenants were asked to vote as to whether they would stay in the local authority or not about fifteen years ago.

Have tried this out locally in Lewisham, and was essentially told that if I got stuck in a private sector property e.g. in a wheelchair and could not get out or could not get the toilet, then they might consider rehousing but that might take three months or six months until a suitable property became available and we would simply have to take what was available wherever it was - mind you at that stage we would be so desperate that we would probably take anything
      Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• nunhead_man
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2017

Good afternoon,

Will be raising a glass this evening to this house which is now under offer for sale and hoping to be sober enough to go down to Southampton on Friday to look at the place we think we want to buy and to meet the builder who built it to talk about widening doors et cetera to make it fit.

So wish us luck!
        Warmly

Andy

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

Oh Andy, that's great news (albeit you're forced to move because of the MND )

The very best of luck for Friday and I'll have everything crossed there won't be any glitches along the way.

Hope moving house works out as well for you as it did for me.

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Sheila
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2019

Hi Andy, that is good news. I hope everything works out well for you. Good luck for Friday.
            Best wishes Sheila.

Comment

• Barry52
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2012

Hi Andy,

Great news and good luck with the move. I spent the 80’s living near Southampton and enjoyed many happy days on the Solent.

Best wishes,
              Barry
              I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Lynne K
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2017

Good luck about your prospective new home Andy. I hope that all goes to plan. Lynne
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• shrew
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2018

Good Luck with it all Andy

Comment

• nunhead_man
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2017

Good morning

Thank you all

I'm cheered up because the "Dutch auction" that our agent ran has resulted in rather more money for the place we live in at the moment that I was expecting.

I've made contact with the MND coordinator at Southampton Gen Hospital and she has come back on the bounce so that's great but I have had less success with the local MND branch - does anybody here know any of them or are any of you one of them? I could do with some local knowledge about contractors et cetera.
                    Warmly

Andy

Comment

• Kayleigh
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2018

Hello Andy,

Congratulations on the successful auction of your house. I hope everything went well with your trip to Southampton on Friday.

Very best wishes to you and your family,
                      Kayleigh

Comment

• nunhead_man
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2017

Good afternoon

Please keep fingers toes arms and legs crossed for us if indeed you can.

We are moving towards exchange of contract in terms of selling our house with a very short chain I'm glad to say and have now confirmed an offer on a place in Southampton which has plenty of space for accommodating me in a wheelchair starting off with 80 cm wide doors as standard and plenty of height for a lift to get me from the proposed upstairs bedroom to the downstairs wet room.

It's on the wrong side of the common really since we wanted to be on the other side to be close to the hospital and the central station but the upside is its near a swimming pool and the University so when some loose some.
                        Warmly

Andy

Comment

• Terry
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2012

Hope all goes well Andy,

It's a big move but sounds quite good.

Love Terry
                          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ellie
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2012

Woohoo Andy !

Everything crossed for hassle free completion.

Love Ellie.
                            ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                            Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Barry52
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2012

Wishing you a smooth passage to your new home Andy. Buying a new home is often a compromise, right street, wrong house and vice versus.

Barry
                              I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Working...
                              X