Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barry’s challenge

Hi all,

Over the years I have organised or been involved with fundraising for MNDA. We rely on friends and family to sponsor us so this time I wanted to challenge myself and inspire my supporters to part with their money.

I have registered for an abseil at an adventure park near Leicester on 17th April. I will be hoisted up a tower and then abseil down. If all goes well I can have a second try. My family thinks I’m crazy but each time I discover things I can no longer do, I move onto something else.

You can follow me on https://trk.justgiving.com/f/a/Gr2dn...NvLnVrWAQAAAAD
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Way to go, Barry - just don't do a BoJo on it

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Well done Barry - very brave!

I've put a few pennies in your tin.

Doug

Comment

Thank you Doug I had noticed on justgiving. I hope to attach a video after the event but only if I don’t mess up.

Best wishes,
        Barry

Comment

Hi friends,

Although Mission 5000 doesn’t officially start until tomorrow, Sunday 13th September I started my challenge early and completed it yesterday. Covid cancelled my wheelchair abseil so I decided to cycle 500 miles on my exercise bike. There was no way I could complete 500 miles in the timeframe of the MNDA challenge, hence me getting off to a flyer. Cycling indoors is very boring but I have enjoyed watching videos on my iPad whilst clocking up the miles and found a benefit of reduced spasticity.

My target was to raise £500 and I am well passed this amount. I thank all my sponsors for their support

Best wishes,
          Barry

Comment

Well done, Barry!

Doug

Comment

Is spinning still a thing? If so then Barry is King. 👍

Comment

Well done you xxxx

Comment

Fantastic, Barry - congrats on the amount raised and well done for staying upright on the bike 😁

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Well done and thank you Barry, 😊

Love Debbie x

Comment

What an achievement!! Thank you Barry

Comment

Wow, amazing Barry. Your a star, Lynne
                        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                        I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Amazing Barry – well done!

I've been wondering whether I ought to get an exercise bike - I've lost my interest in cycling after having been on the back of my parents tandem before I could walk and wonder if this would rekindle my interest
                          Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder– Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Hi Andy,

I recently cancelled my gym membership and whilst I felt the exercises my trainer set me were helping my spasticity I don’t feel comfortable returning to the gym and it is a hassle booking appointments. I console myself with the fact that 2 years of gym membership saved will justify the cost of the bike. Ironically the money I have raised in sponsorship equates to the same amount. You may find it helps you get some exercise if you buy a bike but remember to build up gradually and stop when you feel tired.

Best wishes,
                            Barry

Comment

Hi Barry,

Thank you for your message but I do not really want to buy another bike – I still have three including a Brompton having sold the bike I used to use for riding over mountains and our tandem – the latter going back to our post-wedding honeymoon when we rode from Vienna to Salzburg and back through the mountains with lots of resulting anecdotes.

On exercise I saw this somewhere and wonder perhaps if it needs wider promulgation?

Mind the wrapping of the URL

https://www.als.net/news/excercise-a...hny26K8eFjKQbc
                              Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder– Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Working...
                              X