Liquid paracetamol / sore throat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Sarah,
    Wow, you have been through it, these last few days, I am sorry that happened to you. I am sorry I can't help you with the surgically fitted peg. I am sure someone on here can. Are you at home now?
    Thanks for keeping us updated
    Love
    Sheila xx

Comment

Hi Sarah,

First of all, there's no fat shaming here!!!

I know belly fat can be an issue in placing a feeding tube but, in general, the extra weight can be a positive thing in MND.

The endoscope has a light on its tip which is used to illuminate the abdominal wall. If the light from the scope isn't visible from the outside of the tummy, the surgeon can't see a safe tract and so has no guide for tube placement.

I am no surgeon, but typically the more 'surgical' approach involves making a larger incision than usual, so the stomach can be identified and the surgeon can see a safe tract to the skin for the tube. Then the tube procedure proceeds as normal.

You should ask the doctor to explain what will happen as it may be different to what I've described!! Also ask if it'll be done under a general anaesthetic - it probably will be.

Best wishes.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Chimp;

Can't they just do the normal RIG small opp?

Love TC
        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear that the procedure was canceled. That must have been a bit of a shock for you. I think Terry has a good point about a rig instead. I have a rig and the actual procedure was quick and straight forward. Does anyone know if there are any advantages of one over the other?

Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
            Can't they just do the normal RIG small opp?
            I guess that's the Surgeon's call - it all depends on being 100% sure in getting safe anatomical access to the stomach.
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks all. We’re seeing the consultant tomorrow, to discuss the operation so I’ll ask about the rig. Thanks for the tip.

:-)

Sarah xx

Comment

Working...
              X