Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LesleyJ
    replied
    well what a nightmare this is eh? Glad to hear you had a movement Terry. I am after some advice if that’s ok. My brother and I take turns in staying with my Mam who has bulbar. We have no symptoms. Your thoughts on whether we should still be with her would be welcome please. I don’t want to leave her.
    Thanks and keep your chins up people!
    Lesley

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    I went to Papworth today for breathing tests and to try to get a breathing machine.

They would not give me one but I am staying overnight or two to get one because it would be safer for me if I get virus.

Great staying in hospital, not.

Still I've done a poo
    Love Terry

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Yes Debbie, listen to your wise kids

I banned visitors weeks ago, a tough but necessary decision - self-preservation and all that! No way would I cope with even moderate symptoms. I video call with chat (type text) with some of my family and friends, which is a nice way of keeping in touch.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Thanks for your lovely words Ellie and Terry,

It is wonderful to have made it home at last and understandably family and friends have wanted to visit as we have been away so long and I've been unwell. It was our sons ( who would not even come in the house ) that pointed out how dangerous this was for me. They made us promise to stay in alone as they did not think we were taking it seriously enough ! Kids eh ?

Seriously, it is NOT panicking for people with MND and their families and loved ones to take every possible precaution to protect ourselves. We know some of us have impaired respiratory function and immunity so it is not scaremongering.

I hope everyone stays safe and well.
    Love Debbie x

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Billy106

You say don't trivialize, I say don't panic. I also stated that 'hopefully' with warmer weather this virus will go They same 'hope' the experts want to see. So before going on the attack 'understand' what is being said.

Good luck to you all, I wish you all the very best.

Stay safe and calm

CC xox

Unknown unknowns

There is evidence to suggest the coronavirus does particularly well in certain climates.

Some of the worst hit areas around the world -- from Wuhan, where the virus was first detected, to Iran, Italy and South Korea -- are on more or less the same latitude, with similar temperatures and relative humidity. Researchers at the University of Maryland (UM) have even used this data to attempt to map out other parts of the world that could be at risk of imminent outbreaks.

Though the research remains preliminary, data from the UM study suggests that certain climatic conditions, while not determining whether the virus can survive, may help accelerate its spread.

"In addition to having similar average temperature, humidity, and latitude profiles, (locations along latitude 30-50°N) also exhibit a commonality in that the timing of the outbreak coincides with a nadir in the yearly temperature cycle, and thus with relatively stable temperatures over a more than a one month period of time," the authors wrote.

Brittany Kmush, a public health expert at New York's Syracuse University, who was not involved in the UM study, said that "influenza and other coronaviruses that infect humans tend to follow a seasonality, with cases peaking in the winter months in the northern hemisphere. However, we don't know if this virus will follow a similar seasonality pattern

Leave a comment:

• nunhead_man
    replied
    Good morning all

I think the important thing here is not to trivialise but not to panic.

I note the comparison of flu and Covid 17, and the point that is missing is that viruses get cleverer as natural selection chooses the ones that survive.

By way of explanation of that think of Darwin's finches who only lay perhaps two clutches a year so selecting the best likely to survive with the right beak shape that fit the fruit on the island on which they have landed and then develop as a separate subspecies - this change in anatomy took perhaps 100 years selecting for the best feeders in each generation?

And then think of viruses which have a much greater number of progeny per item and produce these progeny with a horrifying rapidity so the generations turn over very quickly and so quickly choose the ones that are going to survive.

So Ebolla, rot its cotton socks, is so effective at killing people and has a poor transmission route such that the horror of the deaths mean that our species use that horror to clobber it.

It seems to me going back to the difference between flu and Covid 19, that this new virus has struck a better balance between infectiousness and mortality in its host species which of course is an order of magnitude greater it seems than the mortality from flu.

What I really want to know is whether I can fiddle with the settings on my nippy to help my breathing if I get infected and need to self isolate in such a way that it helped me survive - but I'll start a new thread for that.

I'm also thinking about our move of house where we are due to exchange contracts the weekend after next and move on 7 May so there are so many variables to do with who's got the virus at that time not the least the operatives in our chosen removal firm and ourselves.

Leave a comment:

• billy106
    replied
    I agree mate , As MND sufferers we dont stand a chance. by the time they prioritise who they treat . as in Italy , 80yr olds are being refused hospital treatment for this virus. What chance do MND sufferers have.
    Anyway pass the Bacardi and the Regal king size over.

Leave a comment:

• billy106
    replied
    CC Get Real , Warm weather will rid . What???

Dont Trivialise

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I didn't say there wasn't a threat Graham. I stated people need to keep it in prospective that's the difference.

We have an 83 year and a 99 year old admitted right now, both in negative pressure rooms, both with other underlining conditions, and both doing very well.

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    you sound like trump, cc. only trump has now seen the light, as he too is in the 'at risk' category and sees the threat.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Why do my posts beggar belief Ellie, have you once again missed my point ?

We have a 24/7 command center set up in hospital where I work. The Doctors there the supposed ‘experts’ not social media, not the news, not Facebook are stating people can survive this including those with compromised immune systems.

This virus as been around a long time this is just a new strain of it. People with compromised immune systems can also ‘SURVIVE IT’ depending on how well their body can fight it.

The point I was making was not to panic and stress over it. Stress can cause a person’s immune system to weaken and that is a clinical proven fact. Stress decreases the body’s lymphocytes, the white blood cells that help fight off infection. The lower your lymphocyte level, the more at risk you are for viruses, including the common cold.

The other point I was making was all this mass hysteria is causing chaos. Chaos will wreak havoc on your country as well as mine.

CC xx

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Oops that was supposed to go to another thread. I don’t know why it ended up here as I was reading the other thread. Strange indeed but maybe my dodgy fingers I guess. Lynne

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    If anybody wants a mask to protect from the current Coronovirus then you want PPF3 spec. On Amazon some PPF 2 and 2.5 say that they’re suitable but don’t believe it. I did some research, ending up at the NHS site and that said PPF3 too. Some descriptions state both N95 and the PPF number. I found out what N95 referred to but I didn’t writè it down and I forget, but I remember the PPF3 states it scored 10 in tests . I guess more than we need to know. If you go to Amazon take care . There’s some substandard masks being sold. I always read reviews and if there aren’t any reviews I don’t buy. Good luck, Lynne

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Oh Debbie, I am sooo glad you're both home - I've been thinking of you.

Stay well lovely lady...

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Deb,

I am pleased to hear that you you have grounded your husband.

Love Terry

Leave a comment:

Working...
X