No announcement yet.

The daily dribble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck with your shoulder exercises Doug. I hope that you get relief soon. What did they say was the cause of your pain?

My left shoulder has a tear in it's rotary cuff so I can relate to you. I've had 2 injections per time twice so far in 2 places on my shoulder. The last lot didn't last long. But I got Tramadol recently for this and other pain issues. They don't get rid of the pains but reduce it sufficiently for me to get some sleep. 4 hours later during the night I take more pills but frequently wake an hour previously so have to wait. I'd be wrecked if I still couldn't dose during the day. But I doze for an hour most days now which keeps me going mostly.

Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Good morning friends,

Kayleigh - I would not be allowed to comment on the goings on within this forum. We did have a captain Peacock who was known as a floor walker and responsible for looking for shoplifters and keeping watch on the staff. I had a mrs. Slocombe equivalent as my department supervisor and we had a mr. Humphreys equivalent who was the window dresser.

We didn’t have tills as the money was placed in a tube where it was air fed to the cash office and whilst waiting for the change you had time to talk to the customer. Tills were introduced at the time the UK went decimal and then we had the power cuts in 1972 and the tills would not work,plus we had to use Tilley lamps for lighting. Memories!

CC - I too enjoyed some of the American comedies you mentioned. I think possibly the British sense of humour may be lost on you.

Love,
      Barry
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Lynne

My problem sounds similar to yours, in that it's damage to a muscle (the infraspinatus) of the rotator cuff. But it's not so serious in that there is no tear. I've irritated or strained it in some way - probably because it's effectively my only free arm.

The physio said 4-6 weeks to clear up. Fingers crossed!

Doug x

Comment

We didn’t have tills as the money was placed in a tube where it was air fed to the cash office and whilst waiting for the change you had time to talk to the customer. Tills were introduced at the time the UK went decimal and then we had the power cuts in 1972 and the tills would not work,plus we had to use Tilley lamps for lighting. Memories!

Hi Barry,

I remember those tubes that the money went in. They were fascinating to a child. That system was in the drapers where my Auntie Betty worked. The shop also had a wooden chair by the counter for customers rest upon.
          Last edited by Gillette; 17 August 2019, 17:28.
          Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

Sounds good 4-6 wks to sort it out Doug. Good luck. I did the tear to my shoulder about 5 years ago in my teaching car. I struggled to lift a heavy bag from the back to my knee in the front passenger seat as I wanted teach resources out of it. I ought to have dropped it when I felt strain and got out to get it. Lynne
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
            I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thank you Dina for explaining about the different stamps. I find it amusing and interesting that I thought they were Green Shield stamps that my mum collected - you must be correct though, about them being Dividend Stamps, because it was definitely a Co-Op we used to shop in rather than Tesco's. Do you happen to remember what colour the stamps from the Co-Op were? - I think they were green??? ... but oops, I'm wrong again! - I have just Googled them and seen that they were blue! LOL

Sorry to hear you've got a painful shoulder Doug. Hopefully the physiotherapist is pampering you with lots of therapeutic massages and the exercises she gave you will be effective very soon. It must be very tiring not being able to sleep much - hopefully last night you managed to get some sleep after the wine tasting. I hope you are able to rest and take things easy and I hope your shoulder gets much better very soon. xx

Like you Barry and CC, I remember watching 1970s American comedies - Happy Days was my favourite and I also enjoyed watching the spin-off show 'Joanie Loves Chachi' and 'Mork and Mindy'. I don't think any of those comedies are on TV here any more but I often enjoy watching episodes of other American Comedies, including 'Cheers' and 'Frasier'.

CC might not be familiar with the comedies 'Only Fools and Horses' and 'Open All Hours' - but any comedy featuring David Jason is always a chuckle raiser for me! Every 'Only Fools and Horses' fan probably has their own favourite clip and there are certainly lots to choose from!

For anyone who has a favourite Only Fools and Horses moment, hopefully it is included in the following list of top 10 video clips (One of my favourites is the famous 'Batman and Robin' clip, listed as number 3):-
              http://https://blog.fromtheboxoffice.com/2018/10/19/top-10-classic-only-fools-horses-moments/

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I'm sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine - and supervising my husband pegging the washing out! LOL

Love and hugs to you all,
              Kayleigh x
              Last edited by Kayleigh; 17 August 2019, 17:21.

Comment

Hi Barry,

I Googled the Tilley lamps you mentioned because I hadn't heard of them before.
                I understand they date back to the 1800s and were used by British forces in the First World War. I expect many people might still use them because they are still manufactured by the Tilley Company and there is even a video on u-tube about how to light one.

It must have taken some time to light enough Tilley Lamps for the whole of the Department Store where you worked in the 1970s - but probably not the responsibility of just one person? It must have been very atmospheric in the Store when they were all lit during the powercuts!

No Sunday opening in those days, of couse, and I remember many local shops closed every Wednesday afternoon. We are spoilt for choice these days with all the long opening hours and Internet shopping!

Love and best wishes to you and your wife,
                Kayleigh x
                Last edited by Kayleigh; 17 August 2019, 17:14.

Comment

Like you Barry and CC, I remember watching 1970s American comedies - Happy Days was my favourite and I also enjoyed watching the spin-off show 'Joanie Loves Chachi' and 'Mork and Mindy'. I don't think any of those comedies are on TV here any more but I often enjoy watching episodes of other American Comedies, including 'Cheers' and 'Frasier'.

My favourites were 'Mork and Mindy' and 'Cheers'. I used to watch 'Cheers' every Friday night except one - and of course it was THE one of Diane's wedding! Someone rang me just as it was starting (heaven only knows why she thought it was ok to ring that late) and ranted on for the whole of the episode. I was too polite to put the phone down on her.
                  Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

LOL You are right Barry some British humor is quite lost on me but I did enjoy Kayleigh's Mrs Slocombe and her fifty shades of hair colors ???? lol along with her pussycat jokes

Cheers was an all time favorite of mine Dina. I loved the Sam and Diane relationship, all just so hilarious. When the series ended and had its final show it was a very big deal over here for fans. I remember crying when the customer was coming down the steps, and Sam said they were closed, it really signified the end of the show, it did have a long and great run though with so many laughs!

You are right as well Kayleigh not familiar with the names of those shows either.

CC xox

Comment

Kayleigh

I’m laughing my socks off at the only fools and horses sketches and I should have remembered to put my mug of tea down before spilling it down my shirt. I think CC will get the humour in this classic
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_6SaqVQSw

Barry x
                      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Sorry Barry I didn't understand the skit at all ????

Mostly because I didn't understand what the customer was asking for ? I couldn't understand his accent, it was much to heavy I didn't know what most of his words were ?? I repeated a few times too hoping to understand his words but I just wasn't getting it

But thanks for trying lol xoxo

Comment

Thanks Barry,

I love that comedy sketch. Luckily your post prompted me to put my cuppa down before I started watching it - as that one always makes me laugh!

You must have read my mind - I was going to post a link to exactly the same clip later on this evening - but you beat me to it (obviously, we both have excellent taste in comedy - and great minds think alike! LOL).

Glad you enjoyed Only Fools and Horses - perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but its good hear you enjoyed it! .. and I hope you managed to drink most of your tea before it decided to jump out of the cup! LOL.

Love,
                          Kayleigh x

P.S I thought CC said that American ladies found British men's accents very attractive - but perhaps some accents are more appealing than others???!! LOL
                          Last edited by Kayleigh; 18 August 2019, 18:19.

Comment

Hey Kayleigh we love, love, love the accents even if and when we don't understand what they are saying lol

I really had no idea what the customer was asking for ???? then when the audience broke out in laughter I didn't know what they were laughing about ????

I spoke to a woman in a bakery in England over the telephone her accent was so heavy I didn't know what she was saying to me!! I kept saying to her "I'm sorry can you repeat that" and she did, but I still didn't understand her ! then I said to her "I'm sorry can you say it a little slower" all I kept thinking was she must be thinking to herself these Americans really are dumb! LOL

xox

Comment

Hi CC,

It's perfectly understandable why you wouldn't understand what the comedy duo 'The Two Ronnies' were saying in that sketch.

They didn't usually talk like that. They used to change their accents according to which characters they were playing -.and you'd probably find many of their other characters much easier to understand than those characters in the 'Four Candles/Fork Handles' sketch!!!

Love Kayleigh x

P.S Its interesting how different the English language sounds when spoken with different accents. I find some American accents are easier to understand than others - and sometimes I can't even understand what Donald Trump is going on about! LOL
                              Last edited by Kayleigh; 18 August 2019, 20:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
                                And perhaps Q could equip my wheelchair with all the weaponry of that Aston Martin....

Doug x
                                Hi Doug,

Q has contacted me and is he is very enthusiastic about equipping your new James Bond wheelchair!

There's plenty of time before filming starts with you as the new James Bond, but he's already started to design the Aston Martin style weaponry you requested. Although not nearly as high-spec as your wheelchair will be, he thought you might like to see some footage of a wheelchair he kitted out for another client recently.......

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkL4UNThJ8M

I don't know why Q contacted me instead of you? - but I don't mind! - perhaps he will put my name forward to be the new Miss Moneypenny?!! LOL

Love and hugs,
                                Kayleigh x

Comment

Working...
                                X