Swallowing pills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swallowing pills

I have to take Riluzole tablets but my tongue is almost dead and I choke or panic every time I try and swallow one.. Is it available in liquid form? Please respond.

Hi Matthew,

Yes it is available as a liquid so I can suggest you discuss with your GP or consultant.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Brilliant thanks Barry 😊🤗

Comment

In the meantime, try taking the Riluzole in a tsp of thick yoghurt, jam, honey etc.

Liquid Riluzole is much more expensive than its tablet form, so expect the GP to try fobbing you off but it is available and you are entitled to try it if you've difficulties swallowing.

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Mathew , well I struggle as well to swallow the Riluzole and the Lansoprazole tablets. The best way to try is put the Riluzole on a teaspoon with drop of water and it dissolves then suck on on tongue to swallow. The Lansoprazole is bit bigger and I manage just suck and swallow with jug of water.
          Best wishes John

Comment

Hi John, great to meet you and thanks for the sage advice.

Comment

Oh and thanks everyone for the help xx

Comment

Hi Mathew,

I struggled with Rilozole a year ago and some get stuck in my throat resulting in me hardly being able to breath, they can have a aesthetic type affect. I overcome it in the end by always taking them with either cream rice, cold custard or Nutrica calorie puddings. I still have to concentrate very hard though whilst swallowing them. I will probably be putting them down my RIG tube soon instead, the pharmacist said I can crush them.
                Regards David R

Comment

Thanks David, my surgery said NICE guidelines says crush into food. This is what we are up against mate! 🤔☹️

Comment

Working...
                  X