Do I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I?

I'm thinking of getting a road scooter, I'm currently almost mute, and tomorrow I have my first meeting for my PEG ,but the rest of me still works. What are your thoughts? Love you all x

My only thoughts about a road scooter Mathew is where would you keep it safely? Somebody on the MND FB site reported about a year ago that his had been stolen off his driveway leaving him housebound for some time. Good luck with your PEG discussion tomorrow. About being mute, have you explored touch to speech or eye gaze yet?

Did your Currys order get sorted? Love Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Lynne, still no sign of my order, yes and eye is in the planning stage and I am very lucky to have a full height gate and a locked rear drive way at the bottom of my garden, which is completely concrete! ��xxxx

Comment

Hi Matthew,

I have been out on my scooter today and it was only my second outing in 13 weeks. I found it invigorating and I would fully endorse you getting one. Yes there is a risk of theft and my first scooter was stolen from my locked garage but it was insured and replaced promptly. Whilst the scooter is expensive the insurance is only £50 a year.

Enjoy your freedom while you have mobility and best wishes for your peg review.

Barry
        I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Matthew
          I love my mobility scooter, used it for 7 years now, and it sounds like you have ease of getting it in and out of house/garden. 'Walk' my dog, the basket is useful for dog treats, and all their other stuff lol.
          Olivia

Comment

Hi Mathew
            I used to be the county welfare officer for the Royal British Legion and supplied lots of scooters over the years. There was only normally one reaction when using one which was utter delight at retaining/regaining some individual freedom. Of course, occasionally someone would find it too scary and ask for it to be returned but somehow I don't think you would fall (not literally) into that category!

Rock on!

Standardbeatz

Comment

Hi Matthew, I bought my wife a power wheelchair that split into three sections so I could lift in and out of the car boot. Although she had never driven anything in her life she took to it like a duck to water. She used it for about two years during which time we drove to Spain at least 5 times. The ferry staff were brilliant in helping me carry all the other equipment she needed ( mo lift, commode chair etc ). Once in Spain she was able to use it inside and outside the various villas we rented.. we bought it as nearly new from our local disability shop. Best bit of kit we had. Think we paid about £900 for it. When my wife got to the stage she could no longer manage it we sold to a friend for £250.

Comment

I was very lucky and my local MND donated a scooter to me and as much as I was against it I couldn’t be without it now. I can go around the block or to the local shops (with my husband). We sometimes meet neighbours which we probably wouldn’t do in the car. It’s good to get out and feel the wind on your face. You may need a jacket if it is cool as I feel the cold more just sitting on the scooter. Enjoy x

Comment

So true Madge - these mobility aids give us more freedom & independence.

Enjoy the wind in your hair

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
                  X