No announcement yet.

Nippy and sleep. Masks. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will Terry. I should have had my appointment a couple of weeks ago but I had to postpone it as I wasn't feeling well and it's 1.5 hours drive x

Comment

Hi Pink I think the bipap has to lower than your head, like on a stool. Dude x

Comment

Thanks dude. I've having it on my bedside cupboard which is level with head!

Comment

My wife while under Kings for MND also went to the Lane Fox unit at St Thomas’s where their expertise quickly diagnosed her lack of oxygen, she actually stayed there for two nights for a complete analysis following which she was supplied with a portable “nippy” , we were both taught how and when to use it, I being her full time carer found this unit to be simple to use and it gave me confidence in being able to give her relief and not have panic attacks. Also Lane Fox gave me direct phone numbers for emergencies or general advice.
          They like Kings are a dedicated team of caring professionals who are always there to help. Use all the help out there for whatever, like this forum and remember you are never alone.
          God bless. Peter.x

Comment

Hi Pink,

At this stage, I imagine you've tried everything to get the condensation in the hose to drain back into the water chamber of the humidifier on the floor - various hose positions, ensuring hot plate of humidifier works properly, changing setting on humidifier etc - to no avail.

There is a different Fisher & Paykel humidifier available, with a heated hose which decreases condensation; it's pointless if you've a Nippy you cannot use. It's up to the Respiratory Clinic to help you out, so be firm with them!!

Good luck,
            Ellie x.
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you people. I will ask about the different humidifier x

Comment

Feeling very proud of myself. Managed 6 hours on the nippy last night. Longest time for me!

Comment

That's great Pink - congrats on persevering with it, it's well worth the effort.

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie. Been using it without the humidifier as well.

Comment

What is the best type of mask?
                      Any tips for getting used to the mask? I sleep on my side BTW.
                      don't forget to choose the CPAP mask depend on your sleep side because there are cpap mask for side and stomach sleepers and there also alternatives cpap mask just googling

Comment

If your blood gas was normal you are not retaining CO2

Comment

Working...
                        X