PEG Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PEG Problem

Hi folks, I hope everyone’s as well as can be.
    I have had my PEG fitted 11 months now and in hindsight it was a mistake but que sera. My problem is that it hasn’t healed to any extent. I still suffer from a stinking discharge and with my dexterity pretty poor now I’m having trouble keeping it clean.
    I’ve had the PEG team out twice and they seem to think it’s ok.
    Any ideas ?
    Best wishes Jerry x 😜

Bad enough you have a tube hanging out of your belly without it oozing an odour and I doubt any of the medics who said it's OK would tolerate their own bellies oozing stink 😒

Did they ever take a swab of the discharge and test for infection?

When you say it "isn't healed" after 11 months, what do you mean exactly?

And, final question (!) was the feeding tube definitely fitted by a PEG procedure, rather than a RIG procedure?

You should wash it as part of your daily shower, turn it, dry the area thoroughly and leave it uncovered (unless medically advised not to) After 11 months, the tract should be well healed.

Hope you finally get relief Jerry.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I’m on my second PEG - first one was in place for 8 years, this one for 5 years. Both have always oozed but no odour. No one seems able to give an explanation and while some creams, antibiotics etc work temporarily but never permanently. Not very satisfactory but I’m just resigned to living with it now!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
        Bad enough you have a tube hanging out of your belly without it oozing an odour and I doubt any of the medics who said it's OK would tolerate their own bellies oozing stink 😒

Did they ever take a swab of the discharge and test for infection?

When you say it "isn't healed" after 11 months, what do you mean exactly?

And, final question (!) was the feeding tube definitely fitted by a PEG procedure, rather than a RIG procedure?

You should wash it as part of your daily shower, turn it, dry the area thoroughly and leave it uncovered (unless medically advised not to) After 11 months, the tract should be well healed.

Hope you finally get relief Jerry.

Love Ellie.
        Hi Ellie,

Yes I had a swab taken but was prescribed something immediately and never contacted afterwards so I assume there was no infection. The ‘wound’ is red and angry and a bit sore so I was really hoping to get over that appearance and feeling.
        It was a PEG procedure carried out at St Thomas and I’ve tried everything. I’ve currently been advised to clean with salt water and cover with gauze.
        I think as Miranda said ( thanks Miranda ) that it’s something I’ll learn to live with 😩

Love Jerry

Comment

OK, that sounds like hypergranulation tissue and one treatment is to apply salt water on gauze for 10mins, 3-4x per day, which is the one you're doing. An antimicrobial foam dressing around the PEG site would be better than gauze for when you're not doing the salt soaks - your nurse should give you these.

Hypergranulation tissue is treatable - you do not have to put up with it - and, if left, it gets worse, more painful, can bleed and can get infected. So if the salt soaks don't work, you can move up a level and use a steroid cream.

I had it and my very good, old school, commumity nurse used silver nitrate to cauterise the tissue, which disappeared in 48hrs.

Were you told what strength salt solution to use?

The tissue grows if the tube is ill-fitting or as the body's response to a foreign body (the tube) but, as I said, is treatable.

Good luck and nice to hear from you Jerry..

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Ellie,
            the HEN nurse has been this morning and pretty much repeated verbatim your advice. I’ve been prescribed Maxitol and then the foam dressing if that doesn’t work.

I haven’t been too active on the site lately due to other issues and energy levels. This illness has me confused and I just admire how you deal with everything.
            Love Jerry x

Comment

Try aloe vera gel. It works

Comment

Thanks Matt

Comment

Working...
                X