Chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chairs

Hi everyone, could you recommend a chair for my dad, he’s struggling to get out of a normal chair in the living room. Also garden chairs? Sunloungers etc are all to low for him.

thank you in advance xx

Hi Jody,

His OT *should* provide your dad with a riser recliner armchair - if he's lucky, he may get a made-to-measure chair or if he is unlucky, the OT may say they can't provide one. If that happens, contact the MNDA who have chairs to loan, he should not have to buy one. You're looking for a dual motor chair and should be a good fit and comfy.

I hope someone has a good tip for his outdoor chai - it's one thing I don't need to worry about, I just recline in my wheelchair
    In the meantime, maybe a kitchen chair would be higher than a patio chair?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I bought my recliner chair because I wanted it to be modern and match with my other furniture. I would be interested to know of any garden chairs as I can’t get out of the chair unless my husband is around to help me.

Comment

We searched everywhere for a higher garden chair and couldn’t find one. In the end we put our normal chair on sleepers which made it easier to get on and off. We did put brackets on so it couldn’t move anywhere.

Comment

I splashed out on a tip, recline, heat and massage chair, 500 odd quid of bliss x

Comment

That sounds like heaven Matthew.

Comment

Well I don't know what is waiting on the other side but while I'm still this side I shall be comfortable! x

Comment

Hi Jody,

We've just been told that we're getting given one of the recliner lounge chairs from MND Scotland, as we too have had a similar issue with the sofa's in the lounge being far too low to get out of. They asked for height and weight before delivery next week. Hopefully this means we can use the lounge more often as opposed to Netflix in bed just. Right now my partners go to chair is a comfy computer chair that luckily he's had for years, where height can be adjusted, the head can rest if needs be and is on wheels, so can be moved around when required.

You should see if your relevant/local MND charity can loan you a recliner, as I believe they are pretty pricey and will make the world of difference for your dad. A high back and comfy computer chair might be another idea if self funding and looking at all options.

Tess x

Comment

Hi Tess, I splashed out £3125 if my memory serves me for a rise and recliner chair about eighteen months ago. Just as well that I’d saved up for my next teaching car deposit (I was a driving instructor when I was diagnosed). I couldn’t teach any more so the most of the money was there and MNDA sent me £750 that helped very much towards my 2 motor chair. Lynne x
                  ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                  I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Oooft that's quite a chunk in one go, but i bet it was a great purchase for you! I'm only thankful that the charities and health service are able to provide various pieces of equipment on loan, as I don't think we could afford it all (it adds up). That's great that they managed to help out with the cost!

Tess x

Comment

Oh wow Lynne, that's some money for a chair but I'm glad you found one you liked and can use daily.

As they say, you can't bring it with you, so if you can make your day-to-day life more comfortable then do it.

Hope you've had a few more days out?

Love Ellie.
                      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                      Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
                      X