Exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercises

I am interested to know if anyone thinks that exercise has helped them in anyway and what type of exercises you are doing. I struggle to do stretching exercises and wonder if it really does help. Before MND I used to do lots of exercising swimming, cycling, pilates and gym and I struggle to even do 1 minute on my exercise bike now.

Good morning. Firstly, I am no expert! However, exercise will tick a number of boxes. 1. you are taking personal action, which will empower you. 2. It's better than doing nothing and you can feel good that you've done something positive. 3. You don't have to do the exercises on your own. Involve someone else and make it a team effort. 4. Regular exercise, however much you do, will give you some structure/discipline. and finally... 5. although you will not be able to necessarily build those muscles, you will alleviate stiffness and make some movement easier. I hope that helped.

Comment

Morning David
      thanks for your reply. I do agree with your reply but at times it uses my energy and I wonder if it does do me any good. I put effort in but feel I am getting nothing in return other then struggling. I can’t walk very far and can’t get up from the floor😢

Comment

Hi Madge

I am a firm believer in exercise within the limits of your body. You will recognise how far to stretch yourself and you may even be able to build up over time. The only exercise I can manage is a daily session on my recumbent bike and when I started 10 weeks ago I would do 10 minutes. I am now up to 30 minutes and yes I get tired so I compensate with 40 winks.

Best wishes,
        Barry
        I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Barry I have always been a firm believer that exercise creates the happy endorphins. I am very pleased that you have increased your exercise ability well done. That is encouraging to hear. My legs just cease up and I can’t push on the pedal 😢 keep going x

Comment

Hi Madge,

If your muscles are seizing up when you exercise, maybe take something to reduce spasms about 45-60mins before you start - e.g. magnesium supplements or antispasmodic meds, depending if your muscle tone is high just when exercising or on a more permanent basis.

If you do opt for magnesium supplements, do check its formulation as some are laxatives!!

If the pedal resistance is adjustable on the bike, perhaps you can change it but please don't think that you must do exercise, especially if it whacks you... Or what about getting a pedal exercise machine which you can put on the floor and do a bit watching TV - if it's a chore, you'll be less inclined to keep moving. If you're linked in with your local hospice, they might loan you one for a try out.

Take care.

Love Ellie.

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I confess to being confused. I thought over using our muscles actually lessens the time we have them. Please clarify😊x

Comment

Yeah, trick is not to over stress muscles but to keep moving/exercising muscles for as long as poss.

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
                X