X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthew55
    Forum Member
    • May 2020

When I cough sometimes I cannot draw a breath. The only thing to do is cough on. Sorry I can't suggest a solution other than that.
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

• denise
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2020

Thanks Matthew. I didn't think I was helping him much by hitting him.
      how are You?
      Denise xxx
      when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

• GaryM
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2020

denise, have a look at this thread about choking.

Hi all went for a meal yesterday and had 3 courses but as I was leaving the restaurant I had a final sip of water and started to cough and then once it cleared I couldn’t breath in or out for around 20 seconds. It was very scary indeed. I wondered if anyone had any advice if this is related to my MND throat muscles getting

Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

denise If it happens soon after Stephen lies down in bed, it could very well be a 'choking' incident caused by saliva going down the wrong way - and it's not always easy to feel that saliva has gone down the windpipe.

Generally, he should be sat up and left to cough it out, so to speak, and definitely no slaps on the back. The more he, and anyone else in the room relaxes, the easier it is to concentrate on his breathing and return to normal. So, the best thing you can do is not to panic...

I also do that huge breath (mine isn't wheezy) as part of a cough, often a sneeze too πŸ™„ You just get used to it.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user
          ​

Comment

• matthew55
            Forum Member
            • May 2020

I'm fine, stoned happy and off to bed soon. Hope all well with you. 😊x
            Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

• denise
              Forum Member
              • Jun 2020

Why do we slap people on the back if they cough and splutter? I've even patted the cat on the back thinking I was helping . I shall just calm him down after this. Not sure about the cat!
              I've been telling him off for sniffing. I said I didn't think that would help that blowing his nose would help clear it whereas sniffing will just put it on his chest. I gather that is where it goes.
              Thanks for the advice
              😘

Comment

• denise
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2020

Hi Matthew
                oh I'm a bit down and depressed. I could do with a room where I can go and scream πŸ˜•

Comment

• matthew55
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2020

I hope you are feeling better today. I haven't been able to have a blow of my nose for months btw. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Š

Comment

Working...
                  X