Drying Routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying Routine

Would be keen to hear from others just generally out of interest, as I know everyone adapts their routines as they go..

Someone mentioned in another thread about a drying pod or something after bathing. If only.

Currently for my partner, I use a towel and then when he's seated on the edge of the bed, I plug the hair dryer in and do the rest of the drying (possibly one more go with the towel to make extra sure). I find that he's always freezing coming out of the shower, so I've got to work fast (feel like I'm on a game show).

What does everyone else do (if you want to share)?

Tess x
    Last edited by Tess; 7 September 2020, 22:19.

Hi Tess,

You may find a micofibre towel useful.

Best wishes,

Barry
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

I was reading about someone asking if anyone had tried a bathroom pod that can be attached to the house without planning permission.
      so far just using big towels. Not easy because difficult if he's sitting down and trying to do it quickly before he feels cold. Bit like playing beat the clock! Microtowel might be worth a try. Not easy if he's also complaining of feeling unsteady on his feet. Bought a stick on handle for the shower for balance support and it won't stick anywhere 😐 getting him to have a shower is getting to be a struggle and I think its going to get worse as it gets colder. Hairdryer idea is good might give that ago. Putting clothes on him after is a struggle. Why do they make shirt buttons so small! Socks can be a nightmare 😶

Comment

Tess I am partner / carer for my guy..
        same think after the shower.great great idea for a hairdryer! We got an extra large good quality terry cloth bath robe w a hood. It absorbs water and when he sits on the bed I dry him but hug and cuddle a few minutes too.

Comment

Tess Loving your Avatar!!

Like you said, we get cold quickly, so getting dried and dressed fast is the trick - I am dressed in the bathroom where it's warm and when heating is on, my clothes are warmed before they are put on me, which feels nice on tense muscles.

I know a person who got a body drier in their wetroom and it was great when they could stand, but not as useful when they could no longer do so.

Hoods are nice, as Betty said, unfortunately I don't get cuddles from my carers though 😁

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hello Tess. I dry my wife in the bathroom which has a heated towel rail and a radiator. I whack the heating up about 20-30 mins before shower. It’s so hot that even in the winter I just wear shorts.get a few funny looks from anyone coming to the house in Feb. We haven’t dressed Ann’s bottom half for about a year now instead I place a good towel on her wheelchair to finish off the undercarriage. We have seasonal blankets starting with ultra thin for summer through to thick lambs wool for the winter to wrap around her From the waist down oh and big fluffy slippers.

Comment

Thanks Barry52 I might look into a microfibre towel soon. Our routine is absolutely fine for now but good to take advice or tips from others too.

During covid we've hardly seen folk so it's been loungewear for him the entire time and I've followed suit most days ahaha. Our flat has been surprisingly warm throughout summer so just been opting for summer vests for him as with large arm holes it's been much more comfortable to get on and off, and if family comes we 'dress up' with a t-shirt.

Extra cuddles always worthwhile Ellie that's a poor service from the carers...cuddles should be mandatory hahaha. Everyone needs a hug!
              I think I'll start getting into that routine as it gets colder...PJ's from the heater are sooo cosy. Shower, cozy PJ's and fresh bedsheets- the best feeling! Oh it's the little things.
              ​​​​​​​Thanks Ellie ...the backstory is, I do love a Disney fairy tale but instead of being trapped in a tower and waiting for a prince, we're trapped by MND and waiting for the lawmakers/regulators/pharmacists to come and tell us that they have the cure and only then I can let down my hair. Not quite like any Disney story I've heard, but maybe there's a gap in the market?

Bowler sounds like your organised and ready for the upcoming seasons...even if it is shorts 365 days of the year!​​​​​​​

Comment

Hi Tess, I care for my wife who has MND. I've built her a pod in our rear sitting room and we doe have one of the Apres body driers in there that I found going second hand on Ebay. Before that we were using towels, but she was also getting cold quite quickly after showering, and it's not easy to dry efficiently when she;s in her shower chair which she also finds very uncomfortable. TBH the body drier is not very efficient when a person is sitting in a shower chair, so we're kind ofusing as a space heater before starting the shower. A fan heater in the space where you are drying to keep the room warm is a help, and sometimes we use a little blow dryer on her private areas which can be hard to get at (careful with the temperature settings though!) The microfibre towel sounds interesting - I will look into that . . .

Comment

Guy2001 a fan heater does sound like a good shout, as I feel so guilty when it comes to turning off the shower. Yes I learnt the hard way about turning down the hairdryer temperature on sensitive areas deary me, worst person in the world award goes to...

Comment

We have a infrared heated mirror in our wet room. It is huge and they're waterproof. They do panels and pictures too. If its put on half an hour before my shower the room is like a sauna. It's hard to get dry in a shower wheelchair so its important to be warm enough. We use microfiber towels too.. they're supposed to soak up more water. X

Comment

Denise you are so right about socks! Fritzs feet are both so swollen. It looks so painful although he says it’s not. He is tall so his feet are large to begin with let alone when swollen. Socks seem to cut off circulation and leave grooves in his ankles.

Comment

stephen has big feet, well a bit instep so trying to put socks on is a nightmare. i tried rolling them up and then rolling them on but its a fight. i thought the socks looked like they would be biting into his skin but he says they are ok - could have fooled me. could do with some soft stretch socks but i suppose they would wash up and go baggy. cutting toe nails another nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                        X