X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slp
    replied
    Hi everyone

I love red wine but find now that I am not eating the wine catches in my throat and although it pains me to spoil good wine I find if I add some lemonade it helps. Gin and tonic must be really cold and then it is much easier to swallow. I haven't tried jelly but I may.

keep well and safe x Sarah xx

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    I have a beaker, it's just like going back in time. 😉x

Leave a comment:

• jomo
    replied
    Thanks so much for all your help! Going to go with the suggestions and see what we can get down. Bob likes port and lemonade , can't use a straw but will try the other things. Will report back when sober

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Vodka jelly wow.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    All around to Rachel's for a Party!! (of course that doesn't work in Covid times 😌)

Leave a comment:

• MNDConnect
    replied
    Sorry to intrude on a non-MND Connect thread but I thought it might be worth mentioning that alcoholic jellies can be easier to manage than drinking alcohol. Our Eating and Drinking guide has a recipe for vodka jelly on page 65 https://www.mndassociation.org/app/u...-2018-V3-1.pdf I'm not sure how well other types of alcohol work as a jelly but it's worth considering as an option.

We always suggest speaking to your speech and language therapist before trying, to ensure jelly is a safe consistency but I thought it might be helpful to mention.

Best Wishes

Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    stephen loves his glass of wine with his dinner. he certainly wont want to give that up.

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied
    Hi Jomo,

It may be worth investing in a smoothie maker as there are lots of recipes online. I too enjoy a drink and crushed ice with lime and g&t go down easier than water.

Barry

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie
    replied
    Hi Jomo . I really empathise with your partner’s problem. I too enjoy a glass of wine and don’t think this is the time to stop. I tried thickener but 😖 it wasn’t great. Still trying to drink it very slowly but know it won’t be long until I need to give up or get creative 🤔

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    The problem with PEGing alcohol is the larger quantities of pure alcohol and it works a lot quicker too. 😊x

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    If he trys all those suggestions through his feeding tube im sure he will have trouble staying upright. Interesting information though i need to keep a note of these ideas for future reference.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Welcome to the Forum, Jomo.

Does wine catch your partner's breath, causes him to cough, or is it that his swallow is too poor, even if he sips through a straw?

Sometimes very cold drinks go down easier, so use lots of crushed ice in your cocktail smoothies. Citrus juices can catch one's breath, so you might need to do a lot of experimenting!! IDK if using something like coconut milk or ice cream would make it easier to swallow?

Sounds like you'll have fun try but, and I don't want to spoil the party, often our balance is poor with MND, so he should stay upright and not fall.

Of course it begs the question - does he have a feeding tube?

Take care.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• jomo
    started a topic Swallowing ... particularly wine

Swallowing ... particularly wine

Hi,

My poor partner can't swallow enough to drink wine or beer . Does anybody have any advice ( anything considered at this point) that we could use. We have moved onto thickeners, he is still not enjoying that . So am about to move into pureed cocktails. This does not seem like a good time to stop drinking We moved onto a recommended company called SloDrink? but they have not fulfilled our order and owe us £8.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks
Working...
X