Bad and Good News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad and Good News

Hi everyone, I have not been on the forum for a few weeks mainly due to some bad news. As some of you will know I live on my own with my cocker spaniel Jessie. Unfortunately, she had to be put to sleep due to major organ failure. It was a shock; she was not just a loving dog but a real companion to me. Hope you don’t mind me mentioning this.
    But I do have good news, Occupational Therapy have given me an electric hospital bed and are arranging a shower and outside lift. I’m also getting rid of my car and looking to get an electric scooter. Anyone know of possible grants for these.
    Stay safe all, Steve

Oh Steve, how sad to hear about Jessie - how long did you have her?

I don't know much about grants - hopefully somebody else does - but I know the MNDA itself gives grants for some items, don't know if scooters are included, but def worth asking.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie, thanks for that. Jessie was with me for nearly 12 years. I've been looking at used scooters but until I get my lift I can't store one in my home.
      Steve

Comment

Steve, I’m really sorry for you losing Jessie. Dogs are such good and loyal companions. I wish that my husband would have a dog but sadly not. I haven’t had one since we got together.

Sorry that I don’t know who would help you to buy a scooter. Good luck with it. Lynne
        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
        I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

oh i know what it's like to lose a dog. we've lost 3 in the last few years and one was called Jessie. it still hurts that they are no longer around. big hugs to you.
          denise xxx

Comment

Steve, 12yrs is a long time, your bond was obviously very strong.

Lovely to see Jessie as your avatar!

Love Ellie.

Comment

Lynne, you could always do a swapsies - 2 legs for 4 😂😂

Comment

Hi Steve

So sorry about Jessie.. You must miss her so much.

Good news your OT is sorting things for you to make life easier. I hope you get a scooter sorted soon so you can be out and about.

Take care
                Love Debbie x

Comment

Steve, sorry to hear of Jessie. A very sad day for you.

I am glad you have some positives to lift you (literally).

what sort of lift is it? We live in a first floor maisonette which the council won’t provide any sort of lift for and then tell us we are ‘adequately housed’! We bought a stair climber wheelchair but it’s a pretty hairy experience and not something we would want to use just to pop out. So my husband ends up stuck in all the time because it’s such a major undertaking to get out.

I am so glad that you won’t be in the same situation.

Rebecca

Comment

Hi Rebecca, I live in a bungalow with steps going down to the road. The lift will take me up to level path to make it easier for a mobility scooter.
                    Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, so sorry about the loss of your beloved dog. They are wonderful company. In terms of a scooter, if you receive the highest rate mobility allowance as part of your PIP, I believe that under the motability scheme you can use some/all of that allowance for a scooter rental, which I guess would include insurance and servicing etc. Not sure if this would be the best way to sort one, but worth considering if you want a top of range one to use.

Comment

You know the only time I really broke down and cried other than when my daughter died was when Sadie, the dog I grew up with, died. I haven't had a dog since and now I have the time it's too late. ☹️

Comment

Dear Steve, I am fairly new and I hadn’t read your post yet. But I love dogs and before I read it I opened up Jesses photo and looked into her eyes. Shines soulful eyes.there is no replacing a friend like that. I am sorry for your great loss.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words, and yes, I cried and still do. What made it worse for me is that I live alone with just Jessie and now I really do feel alone. Good news though I have now purchased a new scooter and take delivery on Wednesday. Will have to keep it at my neighbours for the time being.
                            Steve

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your Jessie, good luck with the scooter

Comment

Working...
                              X