• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nunhead_man
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2017

Where are the building contractors!

Good afternoon all,

Having gone down the proper route having some drawings done, had the structural engineer check the place out, and now gone out to five building contractors we have had no responses whatsoever.

I know materials are quite difficult to get at the moment given that container shipping is in a real mess but I simply can't believe that there is nobody locally that wants to do the work we want done. It's not urgent yet but I guess by mid-2021 I'll be needing quite a lot more facilities than I have at the moment and so I do need this work doing.

I've got the list of contractors from the relevant occupational therapist in the local authority both to Southampton and for a couple of the adjacent towns so I suppose I better go out and asked them all but I can't see why any of the others will be any more forthcoming than the four I've tried already who are quite close to me

All I want is sympathy at this point unless somebody has a good Hampshire contractor up their sleeve that they can recommend me to.
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Definitely tea and sympathy from me Andy.

We need a small building job done (nothing related to me) and were told builders are flat out clearing backlogs - it doesn't help that winter is nearly upon us.

I guess keep on looking - have you listed the job on a trades website?

Oh and you shouldn't have kicked out all those Polish builders 🤣🤣🤣

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Guy
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2017

Hi Andy - sounds like a real pain; we went through a similar exercise early last year and had to chase up the tenderers. A couple of thoughts; if the works are mostly interior then the builders will be keener to fit them in during the winter months. Also we had a list of suitable contractors from our OT and from the LA building control which spread the net a bit. On a positive note my wife has now become very good at DIY.....
      Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

• nunhead_man
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2017

Good morning

Thank you Guy and Ellie - I was nudged by my SO to talk to the local branch who are becoming increasingly active digitally having taken a while to get that way.

We had one guy around who's done some work for one of the other local branch members and we have a second coming round on Friday who has worked for another one. So things are looking up.

Guy – we did have a list of builders from our local authority occupational therapist and those are the ones that have been saying they don't want the work.

Ellie you're quite right about Polish builders – for the avoidance of doubt I will am and will remain completely anti-brexit it and think it is simply Tory party benefits accruing especially to the large amounts of money invested by big capital in UK fishing who are mates of Boris et al. which are usually portrayed as a couple of poor guys on a quay with a fishing boat that may come out of use who probably rent their boat from big capital
        Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• matthew55
          Forum Member
          • May 2020

Money that should go to fat, idle and stupid politicians in Europe.
          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

• Guy
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2017

Hi Andy - appreciated you were having no joy with the contractors on the LA OT list. We also got a list from the LA Building control (which had some additional contractors to the OT). They also provided useful advice during tendering. May be worth a try if they have this set up in your area.
            Ironically I'd just arranged for a mate who's a joiner to build a timber access ramp for me - but he lives in Wrexham and they got locked down today! Just can't win! May need to test my wife's newly acquired DIY skills to the limit.....
            Best

Robin

Comment

• GaryM
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2020

Robin, I think tradesmen can come into your house within the rules and also I think you can enter someone's house if you're providing assistance to a vulnerable person. Worth having a closer look at the guidance. Hope this helps.
              Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

• Guy
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2017

Thanks Gary and in general I agree it seems ok. My mate lives in Wrexham though and i'm in the east midlands. The welsh lockdown rules are v strict on travel out of area so I think he'll struggle to escape. I will try bribery though but I reckon we'll end doing it ourselves (which I'm now quite looking forward to!)
                Best

Robin

Comment

Working...
                X