Tricycling instead of the motorbike or cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricycling instead of the motorbike or cycle

I thought some of you may be interested in the Tricycle I have been loaned.
    Predominantly my weakness has been in my arms, this has meant I had to stop motorcycling and cycling, especially after a couple of falls, one with the motorbike falling and me not able to stop it going down and the other was with the cycle where I pulled the brakes on and consequently tumbled over the handlebars not too serious, but could have been.
    Sheffield City Council bought 4 Ram Raam Easy Rider electric tricycles and I have been fortunate to loan one for three months. This has enabled me to get out cycling with er indoors and friends. I do feel like I look disabled on it, but with a helmet and dark glasses on, who cares.
    I can simply whizz along with the wife struggling to keep up and hills are a doddle, however, I am unable to put my arm out to indicate my direction intention, so rely on er indoors to cycle behind and indicate for me. I steer using my shoulders, but both hands must stay on the handlebars.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
    Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
    Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

I feel your pain brother. I to love motorcycling, I still have mine and ride it to the shops and back. I feel so free and the nothing else shuts out the world as effectively as when I accelerate down the road on it. In fact my profile picture is of my cam shaft on my ZZR when I have to adjust the valve clearances two years ago, before ride my motorcycle to Spain over the pyrenees.

D.

Comment

Looks great, I want one. Well done Sheffield council. All you need now is the Peter Fonda jacket and stars'n'stripes helmet.
      Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Looks great Dave, though obviously you'd prefer your old 2-wheels...

Enjoy your few months with it - hopefully you'll be able to borrow it again or even (somehow) buy one.

Take care.

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Now that looks like fun

Comment

Before lockdown in March (and before my diagnosis), I got an electric bike on a months loan from Cycleboost, an organisation to get people biking). It was a lifesaver on Sheffield hills to get out into the countryside during lockdown, and I really wanted to buy one for myself. Cycleboost staff were furloughed, and the bike was not called in until August, when I knew my fate and didn't think it was worth buying one. Cycleboost have so kindly let me keep it longer, so grateful as can still use it despite having to use the turbo setting more and more as my legs weaken! Sheffield is doing us proud in this respect x
            Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Working...
            X