Mouth spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouth spasms

I'm just wondering if anyone gets this strange symptom. It feels like my throat and tongue suddenly move and create a burst of air that forces my cheeks and lips out. A bit like a burp but it doesn't come from my stomach. It usually happens several times over a period of about 10-15 minutes, maybe once or twice a day. My nasal passages seem to be permanently dry and restricted, which feels like it triggers the symptom when breathing through the nose. Not a major problem, I know, but I just thought I'd ask.
    Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Spasms are common, Gary, and can involve most muscles in the body from time to time. (I presume you've ruled out reflux)

Is your breathing resctricted by the spasm? I know you said there is a force of air giving you chipmunk cheeks but can you breathe 'normally' during a spasm?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Ellie. I don't think it's reflux. I wouldn't say I could breathe normally because each "spasm" lasts less than a second. It's a bit like a swallow in reverse, so maybe it's just the swallowing muscles beginning to lose control. It seems to be initiated when breathing through the nose feels too restrictive. I just thought I'd put the question out there in case someone recognised it.
      Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

I asked because it could be a very mild Laryngospasm - you'd know if you had a full blown laryngospasm because it prevents breathing for a few seconds (but feels more like 10mins!!)

To me, it doesn't sound oesophogeal - at least my weak swallow never produced such spasms/muscle movements - but more breathing related as the initial trigger or as a consequence of restriction.

As others will say, it's best to try and relax and let it pass (usually easier said than done, mind you!)

If you don't have a decent strong sniff, maybe have a breathing assessment - I'm not suggesting you've a problem, you know your body best.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

For me I have burps that don't happen and my throat closes at night which is pretty scary.

Comment

Working...
          X