My first proper fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first proper fall

Yesterday, I stood on the edge of the bath to get to the showerhead. This is because I can't use my arms to reach up to a height of the showerhead. I had done this many times without any trouble. However when I stepped down on onto the bathroom floor my leg gave way and I fell straight to the ground backwards and hit the back of my head on the sink. I lay on the floor unable to do much except for writhing in pain. Luckily my wife was around and heard it and come to help. How exceptionally disappointing, as if the humiliation of not being able to reach the showerhead from standing in the bath is bad enough now fear stepping down off things.

D

Where you go so do I 😉😄

Comment

Oh I really feel for you. How horrible. I hope the bruising isn't too bad.
      big hug
      Denise xx

Comment

Oh D, how awful for you - as you say, it's the humiliation!! Mind you, what were you thinking, standing on the edge of a bath 😏

I had my one and only bad fall in the shower, ended up having staples in the back of my head 😠 Lesson learned.

Wishing your head and your ego a swift recovery.

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

So sorry for your awful fall D. It is so humiliating , scary and painful to fall and then be unable to get up.

Do take care ! I had various minor falls and carried on trying to walk but its not worth the risk. Like Ellie I had a serious fall in the bathroom resulting in a badly broken leg, which led to a serious blood clot. I realised I had to change things .... as if I had any choice with a broken leg !

Hope you feel better soon,
          Love Debbie x

Comment

Sorry to hear about your fall and hope you are on the mend and I hope your wife is ok. I know for me falls were the one think that always freaked my husband out, and I had to promise him I wouldn’t take any risks, so please be careful.

How is the sink?

Comment

Many years ago - teenager still. I was standing in the bath having a shower. Reached over to get the shampoo from the sink and fell onto the floor. I don't think I will ever forget that fright. I can't say I've been keen on standing in a bath since. 😐

Comment

Hi Jacquij

Luckily the sink is still attached to the wall, though I have removed the bucket from the bathroom because it's not the right time to kick it.

D. X

Comment

Nice one, D 🤣
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

This made me laugh D. As a precaution we've removed buckets too. X🤣

Comment

I’m sorry about your fall D. I hope that you are on a mend.

I’ve fallen in our wet room backwards once. I banged my shoulder, elbow and the worst of all the back of my head. I had a huge bump with a headache to match. That was a few months ago. We live and learn. I’ve never done the thing that caused my fall since (I’d leaned over to pick something up from the floor).

It sounds like it’s time for you and your wife to sort out a more suitable bathroom for you. Lynne
                      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                      I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Sympathies to you all, and thanks for the warning. I have been tempted to do risky things because I have always managed before, but does this collapsing leg experience just come out of the blue, or does it happen gradually?
                        Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather R View Post
                          Sympathies to you all, and thanks for the warning. I have been tempted to do risky things because I have always managed before, but does this collapsing leg experience just come out of the blue, or does it happen gradually?
                          Heather please be aware that your limbs can fail at anytime without warning. This is the nature of the disease and the only option is to anticipate the results. If you are having limb issues then you should be considering a walker as a fall can lead to serious problems.

Barry
                          I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

I raise a glass to all you brave souls who are still in denial.

Takes me back years when I fell through a pane of glass at the bottom of the stairs, splitting my head on the edge of door needing 10 stiches, losing a tooth toppling like a log. I did the toilet too but as I fell, I span and ended up sitting on the toilet. Result!! 😁 😁

Given the dangers involved I think it should be an Olympic sport with points for danger and technique. 😎
                            Copyright Graham

Comment

Graham that sounded horrific. What a wake up call. Thanks for the warning. Stephen wakes up most mornings and says he feels light headed and even though I insist he sit down he doesn't take much notice. Sit down then you can't fall down. After 4 falls I can't make out if it's caused by his limbs giving way or he's blacked out. I don't want him to suffer a serious fall like you but I have a dreadful feeling it will take something like that before he takes any notice. 🤤

Comment

Working...
                              X