Constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constipation

Hi, can anyone give me advice about my dad. He is very constipated, he hasn’t been to toilet for a week, every day he has multiple trips to the toilet day and night, up to 20 times a day. Doctor has given laxitives and suppository but it’s not working. Has anyone got any advice that could help? Is this start of a new problem? Is it weakness? If so what can help long term? Thank you in advance. It’s causing my dad serious distress and my mum who is exhausted from up any down to to toilet help him all day and night.

Poor man must be so uncomfortable

If suppositories or laxatives are not working, he might need an enema or multiple Movicol over a 24hr period - ask his GP. Really, severe impaction should be ruled out by an X-ray, but I know this might be tricky.

I wish him a speedy resolution.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie thank you for your reply once again, you have been so helpful over the last few months since I have been posting. It’s interesting you have said movical actually as I said to my mum today about movical, my little boy had to have this daily when he was small for withholding, and it was great, so I asked her if the doctor had mentioned it. He hasn’t but will definitely be on the phone tomorrow. What my mum is worried about is, constipation part of the muscles weakening ? What can be done if this keeps happening? We have no help or advice only the local doctors surgery that don’t seem very helpful. My dad is finding it very hard to walk and get up from chairs and the toilet, we have had OT round about hoists etc but my dad doesn’t want help, he’s not accepting things very well. He says he’s just wants to walk. It’s causing serious tention in our family. He doesn’t want anyone knowing apart from me and my sister. He doesn’t even want the neighbours to know about his condition, he doesn’t want my mums friends knowing and my mum is struggling so much and it’s causing so much stress 😔 if my dad accepted the things he needs, he would have quality of life but he won’t.

Comment

Hi Jody123 ,

I do remember that you posted that your dad takes morphine for neck pain. If so that is probably a contributing factor.

D
        X

Comment

Constipation happens to us due to a combination of factors - lack of mobility, loss of core muscle strength, meds side effect, restricting fluid intake (because getting to the loo is 'too much hassle'), lack of appetite and energy (often due to poor breating, which NIV use can improve).

When it becomes chronic, regular laxatives are usually needed and getting enough water helps, as does taking fruit juices and fibre in one's diet. Landing on the perfect combination of laxatives, either medical or natural remedies, can take a while, and then may change in the space of a few days 😣 As DJW pointed out, if your dad takes morphine, ongoing laxatives are a given really.

Jody, I'm sorry your dad is finding it so hard to accet his diagnosis and the repercussions that is having on you, your mum and your sister - the stress of constantly having to walk on eggshells must be utterly exhausting.

Big hug,
          Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Jody
            I think Ellie has given plenty of useful advice as she always does.

Constipation has plagued me all of my life and now MND is making matters worse. I suspect in my case it is down to my abdominal muscles losing strength and lack of mobility.
            When I go to the toilet I just sit patiently in hope as I am unable to push.

I have only used movicol to relieve the problem, sometimes taking 3 satchels in one day (not sure what the max is).
            I now take half a sachet each day and drink lots of water (which means lots of peeing) which so far seems to be working. I usually go without too much trouble whereas previously I could sit for over an hour with no result.

I’m also careful about what I eat, no white bread or white rice for me.

Does your dad have access to a continence nurse? I had one visit me about 12 months ago and she was amazing.

I wish your dad well, going to the toilet has been the one thing that has made me really miserable at times.

Best wishes
            Andy
            Sporadic MND/ALS - Limb onset - Diagnosed May 2016
            night time NIPPY, cough assist, PEG (not currently used)

Today is the tomorrow I feared yesterday

Comment

Working...
            X