Book reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the other hand...

People generally have too much stuff - stuff takes up space, it gathers dust, getting rid of it has an environmental impact.

I'm happy renting, living in a cloud and reducing my footprint where possible.

Do whatever suits you and your lifestyle, whatever makes you happy. (but the future is 0s and 1s)
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

You are so right. Soon there will be nothing. Like our shops it will be online or nothing. I don't know where it will all end. There will be no insentive to write books or record music. Newspapers and magazines will be a thing of the past. I'm sure a lot of people have got to the stage where they can't even write or have the need to learn how to spell. It's all very sad and it's happening so quickly.
      🤤

Comment

I started reading electronically when my kindle was given to me a Christmas present, I’d guess about 5 or 6 years ago. I used it for a while and then went back to real books. I think that I had been missing the feelings of holding a book, turning pages and maybe the smell of a real book. So I read lots of real books, and even later a period of using both methods. I’d have a book open on my kindle and another real book on the go. Then MND reared it’s ugly head. For a long time now I’ve been using the kindle app on my iPad and enjoying this more than the kindle. I occasionally read a real book. But I find it so convenient to have my kindle library on my iPad. I do sometimes think about the hold that Amazon has over both me (and other kindle readers) and book writers. But I still read about 4 kindle books each week. Lynne
        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

I suppose there's room in our lives for both. I think the thing about real books is that you can revisit them. Though they can take up a lot of room. I collected all the poldark books going around charity shops. Then i had to decide what to do with them when I finished. I gave them back to the charity shop and now I wish I still had them 😞

Comment

I’m now cursing books as yesterday I had to empty a whole shelf full on my bookcase. I was installing a new tv recording system and the hole for the cables was at the back of the bookcase except I couldn’t remember which shelf. Second time lucky I found the hole and after much difficulty feeding the cables behind bearing in mind I have to hold on to my walker. I was just thinking how pleased I was at achieving a task which would have normally taken me 10 minutes but it was more than an hour, only to find that when connecting to the tv I found 1 cable was too short. Thanks to Amazon prime I am waiting today for a longer cable so I may have completed the task later today.

Is it just me who is stubborn and determined to do what I did before MND or do others act the same. I’d be interested to discover other views on this.

Barry
            I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Yes Barry I know just what you mean. I shall be 65 on Sunday and though I don't have mnd I do think I can do all the things I used to and get annoyed when I struggle. I bought loads of books from a charity shop in wells. I think a book shop had shut down so you can imagine my delight. Packed them up, brought them here, put them in the basement. I have set off so many times into the basement. Lugged boxes around, found plenty of old books. Had to give up out of sheer exhaustion. Then i forget which boxes I've looked at.
              I set off with grand ideas on how I am going to do this that and everything else then realise I need to be 20 years younger. 🤤

Comment

Good afternoon,

It looks like I started something!

Firstly, thank you to Ellie for her suggestion about page turning because we had the thought that using a rubber -tipped pencil was the way now to get me to turn the pages on newspapers and periodicals – probably not so good for physical books and there is also of course the finger wetting technique which I can use some extent as I have some of the use of my right hand at the moment.

I'm with those of you that prefer physical books to electronic books perhaps except those that I want to read and then throw away although I do feel a bit of a rant coming on about the cost of downloading from Mr Amazon.

And in some ways it's far easier to watch rubbish television than read rubbish novels. Although for the information, for example on fungi, nothing beats a good hardback book.

I guess this is something I'm going to have to adjust to as I get deeper into MND
                Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder– Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Just a thought - I often get FREE audio books and ebooks online from the local library

Comment

Hi Andy
                    I agree sometimes if there's rubbish tv on you can just leave it and dip in and out. A book if it's a bore you just stop taking in what you are reading and give up.
                    I love reference books just taking the whole thing in which can be more rewarding than going on the internet. If I look online I'm bombarded with information and then if I want to go back to something I can't recall where it was. Worst still end up side tracked. 😕

Comment

Working...
                    X