Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denise
    replied
    I've listened to a few books by John green on YouTube and they have been great. Just found one I hadn't heard and to my horror Wikitalks, a really horrible robot type voice is doing the reading. It's difficult to understand. Have found same book read by a real person so know who I'm going with! 😲

Leave a comment:

• GaryM
    replied
    I've always been an avid consumer of information, books, magazines and online. The thought that I'm going to find that much more difficult soon fills me with dread. As my arms and hands get worse I'm drifting to more electronic info rather than printed. I've use a Kindle for several years, usually in bed before going to sleep, but recently have been finding it more difficult to hold so last week I got one of these to try, I'll let you know how I get on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-multi-a...dp/B07Z1XSS1G/

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    I love books. I have loads. My eyes get tired so listening is easier. Also makes my hands ache holding the book. ☺

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    This is actually a real problem in that people are turning away from real books. A better way of remotely reading a paperback must be found. Call me old fashioned 😄x

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    There are some good audio books on YouTube and radio drama. Just sit back and listen. It's great unless of course you fall asleep and have to find where you got to. I listened to the hunger games- 3 books. Was very good.

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied
    I have the kindle app on my iPad which works for me.

Barry

Leave a comment:

• Guy
    replied
    I can't turn the pages but love reading. The kindle works well for me at the moment and I can even use it in bed.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    nunhead_man I used a variety of DIY page turning gizmos, copied from ones available to buy for a ridiculous price, before moving to reading on my PC, which is infinitely easier!!

My solution was putting a rubber finger grip on the end of a piece of bamboo, novelty pencil or any ~15cm length I had lying about, and attaching it to a Velcro strap around my wrist or later, to my hand brace. Obvs someone needed to attach this to me, lay out the book and place my arms on the table, so I had to plan my reading time 🙄 Also, my nose is a handy page turning tool in an emergency 😁

Reading on my PC is much easier, spontaneous, more enjoyable for me and greener, if less tactile.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• nunhead_man
    started a topic Book reading

Book reading

As my hands decay, I'm wondering what to do about book reading.

I do have devices onto which I can download electronic books but I wonder if I will actually find easier to manipulate paper books with some sort of device.

Do any hand affected friends here have any suggestions about things they found useful?
Working...
X