First proper fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First proper fall

Well, yesterday was quite eventful. First I caught my foot going up the stairs and collapsed in a pile on the third step. Then in the afternoon we had a power cut, so no heating or lighting for two hours. That stressed me out a bit. Then I dropped a plate because my arm was too weak to hold onto it. Then for a grand finale, I fell over in the bathroom while getting up off the loo. Luckily I didn't break anything but I hit my ribcage and back on the washbasin on the way down. My legs just gave way unexpectedly. So I was lying on the floor with us both trying to figure out how I was going to get up. Eventually, I decided the best plan was to crawl into the bedroom and with the help of my wife I managed to get onto the bed. Very scary not knowing how you're going to get up. I've messaged the OT for advice, but not had a reply yet. Any tips or suggestions welcome. I'm going to get a raised toilet seat for starters, although I know it's not a long term solution. Also, I'm banned from getting up off the chair on my own now.
    Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Get a walking aid from ot. They will come out and do an assessment my to is due at 2lm to see what I need. Its all free.

Comment

I’m with jd. the beauty of using your OT is you can try various stuff until you find what’s right for you and it’s all free 😁

Stress the falling danger and they should get to you tomorrow

Comment

Oh Gary, I am sorry to hear of your day of misadventures - on the plus side, you're now a bona-fide team member 😏

I agree with jd that a sturdy walker is good to have, even if just to boost your confidence. A riser-recliner armchair is also good to have.

Be aware that the OT may go overboard in evaluating what you cannot do, but you know your body and what it can do, so don't get downbeat if that's their MO...

You must be sore today, take it easy and be kind to yourself!

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

My husband was outside in the freezing cold having a fag. I was livid. What if you fall you'd freeze to death out here. I told him to come in but he wouldn't go to bed. Wouldn't wear his alarm. I heard him go outside for the 2nd time. I've told him I'm going to lock the door so he can't get out.
          he even admitted he nearly fell over.
          he wouldn't use any kind of walking aid. I don't know what to do with him. 😦
          Gary I'm so sorry to hear of your falls. I need to remind Stephen of the 4 he's had but I don't seem to get through to him. 😐

Comment

Originally posted by jd58 View Post
            Get a walking aid from ot. They will come out and do an assessment my to is due at 2lm to see what I need. Its all free.
            Do you mean like a Zimmer frame, John? I don't think it'd be much use because my left arm is flail and my right arm getting weaker. My legs are stronger than my arms. Or did you have something else in mind? Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've heard back from the OT and she is coming on Monday along with the physio. Can't ask for more than that. So hopefully I'll be in a better position soon.

I knew my legs were beginning to weaken, but I've been walking around the house okay, if a bit wobbly. Just took us both by surprise. I've been a lot more careful today. Bathrooms must be one of the worst places to fall over with so many hard objects around.

Comment

Slips, trips and falls. We all know that they are common hazards for able bodied persons , but take away the use of arms and it's another more profound hazard that when inevitably happens hurts emotionaly, mentally and physically.

Comment

Maybe we should all wear one of these. πŸ˜‰

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I just thought when I fall over I won't be able to call for help, should be interesting 😁x
                    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Gary I just love the purple suit. πŸ˜‚
                      Matthew shouldn't you get an alarm? πŸ€—

Comment

Gary its a shocker is falling and saps the confidence...........I see my husband go down hill every time he has one.............apart from all the walking aids and chairs we have "Care Link" provided by the local council it costs thirty quid a month and is well worth it - they will get you up come what may - they have those massive blow up cushions - we have used them 3 times

and, the other plus is they would get me an ambulance even though I am my husbands carer..........if I fell outside for example and knocked myself out he wouldn't be able to help me, so he knows at the press of a watch like thing he wears he can get us both help - same if anything should happen to me during the night - he can get me help

There must be something of a similar ilk near you

Before we had the wet room done I was worried about the trip possibilities in the bathroom so I had the door reconfigured to open out and not in - if for any reason he had fallen inside the bathroom behind the door he would never have gotten up not would anybody be able to get in - just a thought - that gave me a bit of piece of mind to be honest - a sliding door would also be an option.

Sue
                        Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

So sorry for your fall Gary. I hope you're not too sore today . Falling is such a shock and leaves us feeling vulnerable and wobbly. Its good your OT and physio are coming to look at how to make your home safer.

I have a " buddi " alert bracelet which detects falls. It can be linked to the call centre although mine is linked to families phones. Only trouble is it alarms if I shake my wrist. I'm definitely the girl who cried wolf as they don't react as quickly now but they're definitely worth having for when you're on your own.

Take care,
                          Love Debbie x

Comment

I have one of those council alarms and I pay every month. Problem is that when the alarm is tripped an operator wants to talk to me. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜x
                            Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Good thing about that Matthew at least you know your still connected! - we were told to send a false alarm every month as a test,

Sue
                              Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Working...
                              X