First proper fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GaryM View Post
    Well, yesterday was quite eventful. First I caught my foot going up the stairs and collapsed in a pile on the third step. Then in the afternoon we had a power cut, so no heating or lighting for two hours. That stressed me out a bit. Then I dropped a plate because my arm was too weak to hold onto it. Then for a grand finale, I fell over in the bathroom while getting up off the loo. Luckily I didn't break anything but I hit my ribcage and back on the washbasin on the way down. My legs just gave way unexpectedly. So I was lying on the floor with us both trying to figure out how I was going to get up. Eventually, I decided the best plan was to crawl into the bedroom and with the help of my wife I managed to get onto the bed. Very scary not knowing how you're going to get up. I've messaged the OT for advice, but not had a reply yet. Any tips or suggestions welcome. I'm going to get a raised toilet seat for starters, although I know it's not a long term solution. Also, I'm banned from getting up off the chair on my own now.
    Sorry to hear about your fall Gary. Although my legs are ok at the moment my arms aren’t and consequently I have slipped several times, twice outside on mud (yes I should be more careful) and once just slid off the edge of the bed(no I wasn’t drunk). I remembered what I used to tell my patients when I was district nursing, and that is to role onto your knees and try and crawl to something to grab onto to help you up, which sounds like what you managed to do. I appreciate all areas are different but where I live you can phone the ambulance service and they will send someone out to help you up and check you over for any injuries.
    Take care
    Sue

Comment

Ann had an alarm in case anything happened to me. Although she couldn’t speak the alarm company new that if it went off and no one answered they had to assume there was a problem and send help. It worked because I accidentally set it off whilst moving Ann so couldn’t get to the phone in time. Literally 5 mins later a neighbour was contacted and came round.
      Matthew worth checking you have the same set up.

Comment

Gary your purple suit reminds me of when two of my grandsons did sumo wrestling in Spain😂

Comment

True but my issue is that I cannot have a false alarm because I can no longer form words and I am on my own. 😁x
          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Originally posted by SueM View Post

Sorry to hear about your fall Gary. Although my legs are ok at the moment my arms aren’t and consequently I have slipped several times, twice outside on mud (yes I should be more careful) and once just slid off the edge of the bed(no I wasn’t drunk). I remembered what I used to tell my patients when I was district nursing, and that is to role onto your knees and try and crawl to something to grab onto to help you up, which sounds like what you managed to do. I appreciate all areas are different but where I live you can phone the ambulance service and they will send someone out to help you up and check you over for any injuries.
            Take care
            Sue
            Thanks Sue. Yes, that's what I did. Once I knew nothing was broken I knew the sensible thing to do was not make the situation worse by falling again in the bathroom, so get out of the bathroom first to somewhere with softer edges. It's very tempting to immediately try and get up, but I'm good at seeing what could potentially go wrong. Having said that, I didn't see the fall coming. I didn't know you could phone the ambulance service, but my sister-in-law told me that earlier. She was a nurse for all her adult life. Mind you, I can't imagine how long I'd have waited for one with no risk to life.

I composed this post at 6.00pm and then we had another blinking power cut for 2 hours. 🙄
            Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowler View Post
              Gary your purple suit reminds me of when two of my grandsons did sumo wrestling in Spain😂
              I don't actually have one you know. 😉😂

Comment

GaryM really 🙄 can’t think why 😂

Comment

GaryM Is it unusual for your house/area to have power cuts? Just thinking of if/when you have vital equipment, not ideal if your home is prone to (bad weather?) power cuts.
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                    GaryM Is it unusual for your house/area to have power cuts? Just thinking of if/when you have vital equipment, not ideal if your home is prone to (bad weather?) power cuts.
                    If we lived on the Isle of Lewis it might seem reasonable but we live in Greater Manchester. I think the electricity supply company are upgrading cables over the next few weeks, but in this day and age you would think that they could do it without interruption of supply. If I hadn't got this illness I would have liked to get solar panels and some sort of storage system. At our previous house we probably had two power cuts in 30 years. This one we've had about four or five in two years. Might be why they're upgrading cables. I am on the priority list of the energy companies though, so they do at least contact me to check we are okay.

Could be worse,

https://youtu.be/Kzx3B8NHDiU

Comment

Welcome to the club Gary 😂 My last fall resulted in an ambulance as I couldn’t get up and a visit to casualty. Fortunately nothing broken.
                      Richard
                      Richard

Comment

Matthew even if you give a false alarm it's better to chance that than be left alone possibly injured. I'm sure they'd understand. They must have some kind of plan for those that can't speak. You should look into it. 🙄

Comment

Well I have moth balled it for now. My legs and arms are still fine, it's just my throat that's the problem. 😉😁x
                          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Yes but if you suddenly fall and bang your head. Stephen just lifted himself off the chair and fell forward. Sounds like Gary did the same.

Comment

GaryM Peter Kaye, one of my favourite comedians, thanks! No matter how often I watch him, I'm guaranteed to be belly laugh (though these days, I sound hyena-esque!!) x
                              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                                GaryM Peter Kaye, one of my favourite comedians, thanks! No matter how often I watch him, I'm guaranteed to be belly laugh (though these days, I sound hyena-esque!!) x
                                He's definitely mine. He doesn't live far from me and we've seen him in a local restaurant a few years ago. We've got most of his tour DVDs and all the TV series. Never get tired of watching them.

Comment

Working...
                                X