No announcement yet.

First proper fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that you we’re too sore from your bathroom fall yesterday. I did similar one time re crawling into the bedroom to get up onto the bed. I’d been leaning over to pick some up off that floor.

I hope that your OT and/or Physio find solutions for you. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Denise, that must be a real worry that you can certainly do without. I hope that Stephen takes your advice or makes better decisions of his own. Love Lynne x
      Last edited by Lynne K; 9 January 2021, 18:13.
      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Gary, I sympathise, it is quite worrying to go out walking knowing that if I trip my arms will not/cannot break my fall. It has happened to me a few times, once it got me a trip to hospital and 12 stitches in my head. Other occasions, less dramatic, but often need help to get back up as both arms all but useless.
        I have a rollator, but do not use it (yet) as legs have just enough strength to get up the stairs and do the 1 mile walk with the dog and wife every evening, avoiding the ice.
        Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
        Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
        Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone. Beemer , it is a bit of a dilemma if I go out (not doing much of that at the moment) knowing what to do for the best. I have a wheelchair on loan from a relative, but I've not actually taken it anywhere yet. I used to love walking and did a lot of hill-walking until recently, but now walking around the block seems risky. The OT suggested always taking the wheelchair in case my legs tired. Having said all that, none of us have been out much in the last year have we.
          Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Thanks Lynne
            Stephen is behaving a bit more after I read him the riot act and told him I'd lock him in. πŸ™„
            the thing is if you have a fall and it frightens you into not walking won't the muscles become such that it becomes more difficult. Also if you walk about thinking about walking it becomes more difficult. I don't know why but if you look at the floor or stairs then more likely to end up with a close up. If you look ahead more likely to stay upright. I don't know I worry myself silly about Stephen walking then he falls getting up from a chair! 😦

Comment

I can recommend one of these walking aids that come with rather useful attachments Gary.

Spike Milligan - Pakistani Daleks - YouTube
              Copyright Graham

Comment

I hadn't seen those before, Graham. I'll have to check if the local mobility shop stocks them.
                Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

I'd have one of them daleks to get around. Social distancing would be easy just exterminate everyone and no need to wear a mask.
                  Have to say k9 wasn't looking his best 😎

Comment

Jf i ever fell over all hell breaks loose the phone rings to see if I'm ok. If I don't answer paramedics are dispatched

Comment

Working...
                    X