No announcement yet.

Cry Baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kenny, Yes pretty normal with MND, even before I was diagnosed I could hardly watch Strictly come dancing when someone got a high score or Craig was saying something nice I was in tears! Also when I had my diagnosis at Addenbrooks confirmed face to face they filmed me (with my permission) to help training for new doctors to recognise symptoms like emotion, think I broke down several times.

Comment

Anyone who says they took their diagnosis calmly is lieing. 😉x

Comment

I took mine calmly Matthew or it was total shock and denial, just wasn’t expecting it, there had been no mention of it until D-Day, wasn’t until the day after the enormity of it took hold, in hindsight I think it was better than having a maybe, that must be more stressful
        As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

In your opinion of course Matthew.
          like everyone says it effects people in different ways. No two people are the same.

Comment

Emotional Lability is a pain in the arse especially when there are people around that don't understand it. It is so embarrassing when you snigger or giggle when someone is talking about something serious or sad. I take a low dose of Citalopram which really helps level my emotions. It doesn't get rid of it completely but it certainly helps.

stay safe everyone

Sarah xx

Comment

I am better than when first diagnosed, but when I meet someone I don't know, I feel I have to explain my poor speech, and that makes me tearful which I hate, so trying to figure out how best to approach it.
              Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Well Sarah... do you feel like a little . . . giggle ...... Hmmm??

Biggus Dickus - Monty Python, Life of Brian. - YouTube
                Last edited by Graham; 20 January 2021, 03:12.
                Copyright Graham

Comment

I was wrong in my previous post. The time you break down is when you first realise that you have MND. By the time you get a diagnosis you have had a long time to come to terms with it. Imho obviously.

Comment

I use an inhaler three times a day and it's becoming really annoying that whenever Louise holds the inhaler up to my mouth I start laughing which means my lips don't seal around the mouthpiece. It's taken four or five attempts some times. Louise takes it in good humour, but I can tell it's really getting on her nerves.
                    Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Please don't take this the wrong way GaryM but could it be a slight stress/anxiety 'reflex'?

I almost have a Pavlovian laugh response when a particular carer comes wielding my toothbrush, she has an uncanny knack of messing things up... I put this down to my emotional lability, which I am not suggesting is what's happening with you!

Hopefully we won't read a post from you saying you've an inhaler lodged in your throat 😉

Love Ellie.
                      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

My problem is that I cry when something nice happens and I can't cry properly anymore. It's just another thing tho init? 😁x

Comment

I can't cry either - in my case it's because I don't have enough breath to cry 😏
                          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Yes that is something I was thinking the other day, that I can't even CRY properly any more, only sort of gasping breathless sobs. x
                            Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

I'm okay with it but not being able to breath or see during crying bugs me 😁x

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                                Please don't take this the wrong way GaryM but could it be a slight stress/anxiety 'reflex'?

I almost have a Pavlovian laugh response when a particular carer comes wielding my toothbrush, she has an uncanny knack of messing things up... I put this down to my emotional lability, which I am not suggesting is what's happening with you!

Hopefully we won't read a post from you saying you've an inhaler lodged in your throat 😉

Love Ellie.
                                It certainly could. I was going to put a reference to Pavlov in my post, because that's exactly what it feels like. I do suffer from emotional lability and it's obviously an example of that. Seems to be worse in the evening. I sound like Bernie Winters, if anyone can remember him.
                                Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Working...
                                X