Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing use of arms

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Yes Gary the straws are cut at the bottom x isn't it funny how different things work for different people. I can't use a straw with a no return valve at all. I have my drinks on a box or books on the kitchen table with a straw. If I am really thirsty I will have ice cold water and no straw but I need help with that obviously x

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by slp View Post
      I can't use a straw with a no return valve at all.
      I used to be able to use then, when my muscle strength wasn't as miserable as it is now 😏

      Yes, we are all unique!!

      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

      Comment


        #18
        My wife (who shall henceforth be known as Louise) even suggested a baby's bottle. In fact, we've both remarked how this illness turns you into a very intelligent baby.
        Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

        Comment


          #19
          We tried that Gary, it was quickly consigned to the bin. I tried squeezing the bottle but Ann nearly drowned. But hey it might work for you.

          Comment


            #20
            I'm not sure I want the indignity.
            Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

            Comment


              #21
              Whatever you drink from, it's so important that you can control the flow of liquid into your mouth at all times, that's key.
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

              Comment


                #22
                hi Gary - I'm in a similar position. Straws for drinks are a must and I couldn't get on with the non return valve ones. Actually the only glass i can lift (just) is a wine glass, cupping it like a brandy glass. So red wine is still on the menu! My OT has been great and managed to get me a robotic arm neater eater - the local funding panel ok'd it. it's a v useful device. The other thing she provided that helps is an adjustable height table. Best of luck!
                Best

                Robin

                Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

                Comment


                  #23
                  Great to hear you managed to get a Neater Eater, Robin. I always wondered why wine glasses were shaped as they are, now I know 😁
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Guy View Post
                    hi Gary - I'm in a similar position. Straws for drinks are a must and I couldn't get on with the non return valve ones. Actually the only glass i can lift (just) is a wine glass, cupping it like a brandy glass. So red wine is still on the menu! My OT has been great and managed to get me a robotic arm neater eater - the local funding panel ok'd it. it's a v useful device. The other thing she provided that helps is an adjustable height table. Best of luck!
                    Thanks for the input, Robin. I may have another go with a straw, maybe it needs a little experimentation. Handy that you can still manage a wine glass. I suppose they're usually very light. I'd probably break too many. I love red wine more than any other alcoholic drinks, but I've not had any since about October due to swallowing issues.
                    Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Hi Gary - yes I knock over and break a few, cough sometimes on the wine and drop it down my front - but it's worth it. I do love red wine.

                      Yep, I reckon those wine glasses were made for me Ellie!
                      Best

                      Robin

                      Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I’ve started using bamboo travel mugs with a glass straw (don’t have any swallowing issues) fitted into the drinking hole. They are light to lift and with the lid it feels a bit safer.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Maybe I should get one of these.

                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            What a brilliant idea Gary 😄

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Hi everyone I know this isn't to do with eating but again it's to do with losing use of hands/arms. I find out through a conversation between my daughter and Stephen that yesterday he slipped onto the floor and really struggled to get back up. Didn't press his alarm just tried as hard as he could to get up. Finally made it. Today it happened again I finally managed it by pulling his hips and then getting him to drag himself up the bed frame. I'm a lot smaller than him and I have no one to ask for help.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by denise View Post
                                Hi everyone I know this isn't to do with eating but again it's to do with losing use of hands/arms. I find out through a conversation between my daughter and Stephen that yesterday he slipped onto the floor and really struggled to get back up. Didn't press his alarm just tried as hard as he could to get up. Finally made it. Today it happened again I finally managed it by pulling his hips and then getting him to drag himself up the bed frame. I'm a lot smaller than him and I have no one to ask for help.
                                Sounds like me and Louise a few weeks ago. She's 5ft and I'm 6ft. Best thing to do is take your time and think everything through before you attempt to get him up.
                                Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X