Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacquij
    replied
    I started a while ago to have weaknesses with my right arm and shoulder. In the end I have swapped to using my left hand with kinky cutlery. My OT has suggested a Neater Eater because I mentioned in passing that I am missing doing my sewing as I can’t use my left arm in the same way as my right arm so hopefully it might help on more than 1 front.

Leave a comment:

• Bowler
    replied
    Babybouncer360 welcome to the forum. Ingenious bit of kit. If it works for your dad then good on him.

Leave a comment:

• GaryM
    replied
    Very creative Babybouncer360 and welcome to the forum. Also looks like it could be the basis for an interesting party game.

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Welcome to the home of our family. You are one of us now. 👍😁x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Welcome to the Forum Babybouncer360 and to your dad - thank him for allowing us to see the photo.

Interesting gizmo your brother made 👍 It wouldn't look out of place in Wallace & Gromit's house 😁 (that's a compliment, btw!)

Hopefully he can get all his calories and a varied diet using it.

Take care.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Babybouncer360
    replied
    Hello! Posting on behalf of my parents. My dad has MND and lost the use of his arms first (still able to use a remote/text on phone...). My brother made this for him to use at meal times. Essentially a round bit of wood and a lazy susan at the bottom. 12 little bits of tubing hold 12 spoons and he can rotate it himself at the bottom. My mum plates him up a normal meal and then ours loaded spoons on it for him. He didn’t want my mum to feed him and this means he doesn’t have to stoop to try and get food off a plate. Hope this helps....I had a video but it wouldn’t let me upload!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Beemer Definitely worth asking the OT - hope you get to borrow one 🤞

Leave a comment:

• Beemer
    replied
    Well I tried the NE from work, it may be ancient, slow but it works.
    If OT have got one, I may ask to borrow it, but if not I will use my bendy spoon and fork.

Leave a comment:

• Guy
    replied
    Things have moved on in neater eater land. They have a robotic arm version which is v clever and versatile. Suggest looking at it online on their website. Not cheap but some areas will provide funding for them

Leave a comment:

• Beemer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowler View Post
    Beemer That looks nothing like Ann used. We must have had one from out of the ark. This like the one we had
    I think I would prefer yours Bowler. It has more uses than just eating.

Leave a comment:

• Bowler
    replied
    Beemer That looks nothing like Ann used. We must have had one from out of the ark. This like the one we had

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Beemer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowler View Post
    Beemer that’s a useful perk. Remember tho to get the best out of the support arm you will need to be measured from the elbow to the wrist so you get the max support. Also there are loads of different ways of adjusting the neater eater from height through to tension. Too light and you will still need to lift your arm too strong and you might struggle the other way. If you believe it’s the way forward for you ask your OT to arrange a free home demo with the company. That’s what our OT did. The guy was very good and made a note of the relevant measurements and tension so that if we did order they had it all ready.

Good luck
    Thanks for the info Bowler, I only have the NE for the weekend, and reckon I will have to evaluate its usefulness without my OT's help.
    The one we have at work has been around a few years, a china plate, with a utensil holder attached to a metal arm with springs.manual2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    denise I'd be worried you'd hurt your back Denise, then you'd both be scuppered...

Are they're any neighbours nearby who'd come to the rescue?

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Beemer View Post
    I am able to borrow a Neater Eater unit to test over the weekend... Will let you all know how it goes.
    Ooh, how exciting (strange what passes for 'excitement' these days 😆)

Can't wait for the verdict.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Bowler
    replied
    Beemer that’s a useful perk. Remember tho to get the best out of the support arm you will need to be measured from the elbow to the wrist so you get the max support. Also there are loads of different ways of adjusting the neater eater from height through to tension. Too light and you will still need to lift your arm too strong and you might struggle the other way. If you believe it’s the way forward for you ask your OT to arrange a free home demo with the company. That’s what our OT did. The guy was very good and made a note of the relevant measurements and tension so that if we did order they had it all ready.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X