Environment Control who knew!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Environment Control who knew!

Hubby has had the environmental control team in this week. They are a department in the NHS who offer technical adaptations to your home to enhance your quality of life.
    His adaptations are Possum based, a big button, from which he can use a phone , switch lights on and off, use an intercom and pager. A whole host of things!
    Who knew such a department existed, anyhow referred from his MND nurse.

That’s great news but I expect it will depend on the hospital trust as to where it is available.
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Music Man's Wife

They are amazing aren't they? Nothing is too much trouble x if you can think about it they will try and do it. We have a very loud alarm on the roof to summon my husband if he's out in the farm yard or work shop x

Comment

Originally posted by Music man's wife View Post
        Hubby has had the environmental control team in this week. They are a department in the NHS who offer technical adaptations to your home to enhance your quality of life.
        His adaptations are Possum based, a big button, from which he can use a phone , switch lights on and off, use an intercom and pager. A whole host of things!
        Who knew such a department existed, anyhow referred from his MND nurse.
        Thanks for this post. I've been looking at home automation as I get worse and I'm hoping that at some point my OT will refer me to them. Lots interesting technology on their website.

Links to local NHS departments that they work with are here;

http://www.possum.co.uk/assistive-te...how-to-get-at/
        Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Really positive news. He’ll think he’s sat in mission control 😁

Comment

Just to add: environmental controls are also available with Smartbox Grid 3 software, which is the most common software given with eye gaze systems.
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

What I really need is something that pulls my pants down and back up again. Electric braces anyone?

Comment

Commando ?

Comment

Originally posted by GaryM View Post
                  What I really need is something that pulls my pants down and back up again. Electric braces anyone?
                  Wallace & Gromit style??? 😂😂
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                    Wallace & Gromit style??? 😂😂
                    Exactly that. I could go for a walk in them without falling over.

Comment

I'm finding elasticated shoelaces a great help so I don't have to tie bows. I think I am being referred to someone to look at these control systems, as I am finding it increasingly difficult to eg open windows, turn keys in locks etc. I was told something like I would have to pay for the gadget on the window, but "they"? would pay for the control system??? I await to see.
                      Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryM View Post
                        ha, know what you mean.
                        Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
                        Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
                        Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

Originally posted by Heather R View Post
                          I'm finding elasticated shoelaces a great help so I don't have to tie bows. I think I am being referred to someone to look at these control systems, as I am finding it increasingly difficult to eg open windows, turn keys in locks etc. I was told something like I would have to pay for the gadget on the window, but "they"? would pay for the control system??? I await to see.
                          Hi Heather. As a short-term measure Louise got me one of these. Just so I could open the door on the rare occasion she has to leave me for a couple of hours to go shopping. Certainly stops me being trapped in the house in the unlikely event of a fire.

Comment

My daughter put those plastic attachments on our keys and the key snapped. Thankfully managed to get the broken bits out of the lock.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                              My daughter put those plastic attachments on our keys and the key snapped. Thankfully managed to get the broken bits out of the lock.
                              Must have been a poor quality key. They're normally made of brass which wouldn't be that easy to snap.

Comment

Working...
                              X