Sore throat after choking incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sore throat after choking incident

I got some food trapped on Saturday and struggled for breath afterwards. I’ve damaged my throat and it’s still sore - any advice please?

I'd say gargle with salty water but I'd check out what others suggest. This is one of the reasons Doug needs his peg fitted.

Comment

rachelr What about using a sore throat spray with an anaesthetic to numb it? They're widely available. It'll take a day or two for the bruised feeling to go.

I'd strongly advise the majority of people with an MND not to gargle as it could have serious consequences.

Hope you don't have too many choking episodes.

Look after yourself.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I used to gargle after my inhaler three times a day. Supposedly to stop throat irritation from the inhaler drug. I stopped last summer when the bulbar symptoms started and I've not noticed a difference. That's 15 years of gargling for nothing. 🙄
        Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Hope it's gradually healing, Rachel. My SLT advised me not to try to clear my throat by sort of growling (which feels a bit like gargling to me), could damage my vocal chords. Gargling sounds rather risky in case anything goes down the wrong way with weakened (and damaged?) throat muscles? But then again, what do I know? x
          Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

I simply can't gargle. My biggest concern at the moment is waking up with a blob of flem right at the entry for air and swallow. It blocks my air and I panic. Trouble being I can't swallow it down. I end up trying to get at it with a tissue. I think this is why I look so hagard these days. 😁x

Comment

Matthew, you need to watch those mucus blobs which can become plugs - they are nicer ways to go...

Would you be interested in a suction machine to clear your mouth of the gunk? (Kind of like what a dentist uses)

Comment

I've got one and my first go made me cough for gold. But you have jogged my memory so it's by my bed tonight for sure. 😁xz

Comment

I don't know how to thank you Ellie. I think you saved my life last night. You would not believe how much flem came out of the very back of my throat including a huge lump that belonged in a horror movie. 😍Zx

Comment

Phew! Three cheers for Ellie x
                    Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Well done Matthew, can’t be easy using that machine on your own.

Ellie 👏👏👏👏

Comment

Well if you keep the end bit on your tongue it cuts the gag reflex. I don't think my neighborhood was impressed because the motor is very loud for the early hours. 😁x

Comment

I know what you mean about the noise. Who cares about the neighbours we get to keep you

Comment

Just glad it helped you mate 😘

Comment

If Einstein and St Theresa had a child they wouldn't hold a candle to you. 😍x

Comment

Working...
                              X