Tip for Pegging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip for Pegging

If you can only get liquid drugs in like me listen up. I used to use small syringes to exactly measure my dose then transfer to the big purple one that fits onto my PEG. Then came that Eureka moment and I now pour the drug of choice directly into a open purple, with my finger on the end, then reassemble and expell air. Next simply push back into the bottle until the right amount is present. Simples! P.S. When using some dissolvable tablets your PEG can get completely blocked. DON'T PANIC! I find a solid surface and use my body weight to push slightly warm water in. Remember we are NOT fragile beings. 😁😍x

Suppose if you can squeeze the tube it helps push it along. Can you think of anything I need to ask this morning?

Comment

Those purple syringes for feeding tubes come in a range of different sizes, from 1ml up to full sized.

I know you probably won't bother with the smaller ones, but other people might, and the 10ml and 20ml syringes are handy to have - one lasts ages as they usually aren't used as often as the 60s.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Never seen anything other than the 60 me 😁x

Comment

They're there for the asking.

Comment

I've got boxes and boxes and so much stuff I don't know where I'm going to put it. Tomorrow should be interesting 🤔

Comment

Stephen is attached to the pump. I'm really pleased with myself. I felt a bit panicky. It's all running and he's happy.
              The nurse didn't have a backpack but I think I have one somewhere. Do I just put everything in to the bag or does the feed have to be higher than the pump?
              another thing considering temperature, not that I'm worried at the moment as it's blowing a gale and chilly. What is the temperature for storing all this feed? It probably says ideal temperature on the bag somewhere but probably not in English 🤔

Comment

Room temperature. What rate have you set?

Comment

50 for starters. For 2 days. Then up to 60 for another 2 days and so on. Had feed in fridge over night as it was opened yesterday. Been at room temperature for 30 mins before use.
                  I'm just worried that when temperatures do rise here I'm going to need to store the food somewhere cool. They are going to supply a lot in one go because no one wants to deliver here.

Comment

Up the rate so one bottle used a day. Fridge should be fine.

Comment

denise Which pump and feed was Stephen given?

The great thing about the special backpacks is they have hooks, zips and pockets in all the right places but, of course, there's nothing wrong in using an ordinary backpack, just make sure the feed bottle is always upright and above the pump, so feed flows freely through the giving set.

My feed needs to be stored in a "cool, dry place at 5-25°c".

And Denise, well done you!

Love Ellie.

Comment

Thanks Ellie. We've given each other a few frights today thinking it wasn't working. Thank goodness it is. Our nurse keeps ringing up to check on us. She's lovely but find her English better in real life than on the phone.
                        fresubin original.
                        amika pump

Comment

If you don't have English instructions for the Amika pump, download them from here: https://www.fresenius-kabi.com/ie/pr...umps-user-info

Bookmark that Fresnius site - it has info on all Fresnius feeds etc, might come in handy.

Comment

Thanks for that Ellie. I had Portuguese instructions but the lovely nurse thought the pics would suffice. Bit like putting Ikea furniture together. 😊

Comment

Denise has your phone got translate on it?
                              Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Working...
                              X