No announcement yet.

Things we can still do..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely art work Olivia. You are so lucky to be able to still paint, and you’re talented. Having dogs too is smashing.

MND has taken lots of my pleasures but I read a lot and maybe I could still paint some easy scenes. But I’d have to get my husband to set it all up for me on our dining room table. Your art has reminded me of the pleasure I once had. Thanks for uploading your photos, love Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Ellie...thank you🙂

Comment

Thank you Lynne🙂 sometimes we just cant do what we did, but I could still paint, but had no interest in doing it when first diagnosed, then remembered I actually loved it, so now I'm back! I hope you can still, if it's something you would like to try x

Comment

Yes Denise my husband has never not had a dog.I am a new to it 21 years! We are lucky and have a garden . In fact it’s our beer garden . So last summer I spent hours in the garden watching our two dogs playing.I still send him out on walks. For his own health.

Comment

hi lesley b

yes it will do him good to get out with the dogs. i presume when you said i still send him out on walks he takes them with him. sorry it made me laugh. so you have a beer garden? you have a pub?
            when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Lovely paintings Olivia, especially the wagtail. I started learning to draw and paint around seven years ago. I bought all the stuff, like I do for anything I get interested in. I've not bothered trying to draw or paint anything since the symptoms started and now both my arms are too weak to even try. What I miss the most is talking, eating, gardening, walking and DIY in that order. Here's a painting of a cherry that I did.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

gary thats wonderful. i honestly thought it was a photo.

Comment

GaryM That is so realistic I wanted to eat it!

Even when my hands worked, I could just about draw a straight line - you and Olivia are talented artists. x
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your beautiful paintings Olivia . Thank you also for reminding us that, whist we should make the most of every day, its OK to think about what we've lost.

I miss dancing... I even used to dance when I was cleaning. Now I come to think of it I even miss cleaning ( but not ironing !)

Love Debbie x

Comment

Gary, that is just fab ! X

Comment

Olivia your paintings are absolutely lovely
                        Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

suefromwakey - what about gary's cherry?

Comment

Gary I love your Cherry, can I get arrested for that?

Really though its lovely

Sue
                            Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

i thought along the same lines.
                              gary you have a lovely cherry. who cares what happens.

Comment

Hi.I try and think of things to do from seated with hands getting weaker and legs allow me to walk a few yards.I enjoy reading, being taken outdoors to look at spring flowers bursting forth. I ring friends,FaceTime and look on You Tube.Never watched daytime TV until last few months.I like to cook as does my husband..I sit with him sharing banter while he tries new recipes.We play rummikub , do crosswords together .I sit wrapped up in the garden whilst hubby re pots and plants.
                                We see our kids and 7 grandchildren ( a choice we made despite covid.The children generally play outside and when dry I sit out too).
                                I am a practising Catholic so find I get strength from my beliefs but of course I have times when I think I have a lot worse to come but can’t allow myself to waste today overthinking what May or not happen tomorrow.Also feel blessed to have a support network of close friends,family and a great palliative care team.It’s great to hear how others spend their days and I admire those with painting talents and crafts...I never developed those skills.Best wishes.Mary

Comment

Working...
                                X