Ball and socket pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball and socket pain.

Morning all, every morning recently I’m waking up with pain in ball and socket areas i.e. shoulders and hips areas. I can sleep on back and both sides but I used the sleep on front so my body is probably not used to it.

i have a IKEA mattress/bed so was thinking of investing in a new one if cheap enough.
    The pain is horrible and lasts half the day after waking up. Actually started to dred going to bed.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated Xx

What about a mattress topper from Ikea. Be careful because Ikea beds are usually bigger than normal.

think others might have more ideas. That must be really horrible.

hugs Denise xxx

Comment

Hi ,
      what about talking to your physio or OT as they can advise on beds,equipment and exercises that might help you?
      Best wishes Mary

Comment

I agree with Mary. Before splashing the cash always worth checking in with your OT. They should be able to supply stuff so you can try what is best for you.

Comment

For a side sleeper it might be something as simple as putting a pillow between your knees, this aligns the body to a more restful position
          Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Ive tried that. It does help.

Comment

Hi Wayne. I get hip pain at night. I only sleep on my side. I put voltarol on my hip every night before bed. I also put a spare pillow between my knees, like Sue suggests. My wife has put a spare summer duvet on top of the mattress to soften it a bit. I should say that the pain I get stops as soon as I get out of bed.
              Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

My experience of Ikea mattresses is that they are all too hard. We tried all they had (except their ‘hard’ one). We tried various toppers too (2 toppers are on together now) but still not eliminated my pain. Good luck for a solution, Lynne x
                Last edited by Lynne K; 15 March 2021, 14:25.
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Wayne, definitely talk to your OT and/or community nurse about how your pain can be eased, and I don't mean just with heavy duty pain meds, although that might be worth talking to your GP about as a short-term semi-solution. As the pain bothers you for some time after you're out of bed, the OT should be aware of that too - it must impact on your quality of life, I'm sorry.

I'm the proverbial broken record, but try to secure a pressure relieving mattress - alternating air is best but you may find one hard to get one (as our Lynne did) so see what is offered. If they say a mattress can only be supplied with a hospital bed, maybe you have a spare room in which the bed could hide, and you put the mattress on your own bed??

The thing to stress when looking for a comfortable mattress is pressure relief - which ought to ring alarm bells for an OT, nurse, physiotherapist etc.

Re the shoulder joint: I had steroid injections into the ball and socket joint area and also nerve block injections into the scapula area, which worked a treat in eliminating my constant shoulder pain. There are probably hip injections too.

We need the best quality sleep to face the day, I hope you get sorted very soon...

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you guys for the info, much appreciated Xx

Comment

Working...
                    X