Index finger gets stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Index finger gets stuck

Hi All. I am newly diagnosed and something that keeps happening to me is that I get a shooting pain in my arm and then my index finger gets stuck. Does anyone know the reason for this? Thanks

Sounds like a cramp or spasm, Ashleigh - part of the condition, I'm afraid.

Massage helps, as does keeping the muscles warm and, although this probably doesn't apply to you (yet), making sure a limb or joint is not immobile for long periods of time.

Definetly mention it at your appointment - there are meds to relieve cramp and spasms if they are widespread and/or causing you problems. Magnesium supplements and CBD Oil can help too.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi, as for cause, it’s mnd* I’m afraid, who knows what our neurons are up to. does it feel like a sharp cramp and finger locked for what seems like ages but about 20-30 seconds, are you doing something with your hands at the time, sorry to ask some questions but this sounds like some of my early symptoms but whole hand would lock up. For me these have reduced as my hand got weaker. Try to gently exercise your hand to keep it moving, touching thumb to each fingertip one by one, or squeeze a soft foam ball but don’t overdo it,
      you will probably get to see a physio, tell her all of your all little problems and she or he, will be able to give exercises to maintain your hand function as long as possible, it’s important for them to know to give you best advice
      if it’s a certain activity causing it try to recognise when it’s about to start and stop, if you can.
      (* someone here will be able to give a medical explanation if you want details)

shaun
      As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Hi Ashleigh and welcome to the forum. My symptoms started in my left hand, with things like tying my shoelaces. I just couldn't grip things between my thumb and first finger. At the same time, if I put my hand in a tight jeans pocket some of the fingers would lock up and I had to use my other hand to straighten them. Like Shaun, these cramps have disappeared as the muscles have weakened.
        Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Hi Ash,

It is my 3rd finger on my left hand that is bent crooked and I have been not able to straighten my middle finger to greet my fave carer for years now. I am so looking forward to a cure.
          Copyright Graham

Comment

Hi Ashleigh,I get those electric shock like cramps in my arms and can visibly see the ongoing twitches (fasiculations)in my hands.I do gentle exercise to try and prevent stiffness.The loss of strength in my right hand is evident now and any activity triggers the cramps.Even using a knife to cut food is getting less easier as strength decreases.All part of MND.Best wishes Mary .

Comment

Good morning Ashley

My middle finger of my right hand gets stuck in the way you describe and it is because I have lost the function in the muscles that extend my fingers but not lost my grip so if I grip something my finger gets stuck and I can't move it out without catching it on something like the edge of the desk or the handle of the door handle in our kitchen.

I am lucky to have a partner who is willing to massage my hand for 10 minutes each morning as part of breakfast routine, and I also wear a splint on my hand overnight which straightens my fingers – and both things seem to be prolonging the amount of use I'm getting out of my right hand.

I think I'm using my right hand in a much more damaged state than I ever used my left hand but then at that point I had my right hand to replace it with - I'm going to use my right hand for as long as I can
              Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder– Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Thank you for all your responses I am seeing a Physio next week and I will ask her what to do

Comment

Working...
                X