Larger than ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger than ever!

I think this might have been covered before but I cant find the answer when searching, so, at the risk of repeating,

My husband was told he has PMA - he now no longer walks at all, BUT I have noticed that his thighs appear to be getting bigger, how can this be possibly right?

His calves have almost disappeared.

I have also noticed that his skin looks like he's been on a diet, starting to wrinkle (all over body) he is still able to eat and I have not noticed any lack of appetite,

Thanks
    Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Arent the wrinkles due to losing the fat layer under the skin.
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Possibly and most probably but its on the feet also - I suppose we have fat layers everywhere but it looks odd on the feet plus he's still eating well and Id say he's not losing weight

Comment

Im supposing lack of muscle too. I think if hes not moving he will lose fat and muscle but its stock piling else where. You need ellies input.
        when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

It is strange, I am losing weight, legs are getting weaker and smaller, but belly seems to be retaining the bulk. I thought, ok, if I lose weight, I will look thinner, but it dont seem to be happening that way.
          Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
          Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
          Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

Sue, the muscles can lose tone too and become flaccid, particularly noticeable in a larger muscle mass such as the thigh.

Skin can lose its tone and elasticity too - more joys to behold!! Parts of me resemble Grandpa Abe Simpson πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜‚
            Last edited by Ellie; 20 March 2021, 13:31.
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

I like that, in a kinda way, made me smile Ellie

Maybe the thighs are more noticeable as they have always been solid, quite sporty, AND he's been wearing shorts ! best thing we can get on

Comment

My poor thighs are about the same size as my biceps and I need a blanket over them as I sit and ponder life. πŸ˜žπŸ˜„x
                Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Ah that explains why my thigh on my weaker side is kind of lumpy and flaccid, joys. x
                  Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Working...
                  X