Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet room

Hi

I was just wondering how much average wet room costs. I’m still in work and as my wife also works we pretty much don’t have much chance of getting a grant. I have been told various amounts from 3.5k to 8k.

Hi. Ours cost just over £7k but I know I could have got it for far less if I hadn’t left until it became critical. For us it came down to who could do the work soonest. As an example a local company with a great reputation couldn’t even come and quote for 3 weeks which was too late for us. My advice would be to get as many quotes and personal recommendations you can as soon as possible. Your OT might be able to suggest a few companies.
    I would also talk to your OT about other avenues of support e.g. MNDA grants and other charitable sources which are not means tested.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

I’m aware that there has been lots of discussion recently about wet rooms and I have one in my home. I was recently on a webinar about assisted living and the technology available to manage independently. One idea discussed was bathroom pods that can be installed anywhere with access to drainage. This may be an option for some and the cost is generally lower than a wet room conversion.
        I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi ,I have a big wetroom as it used to be a bedroom when this house was built.We were able to plan it and called on OT for her advise as well as what I knew from being a hospital social worker.For me it was about planning ahead.I didn’t want a cubicle for a shower in case I need hoisting or equipment.Grab rails were put up in shower area.low level sink so shower chair or wheelchair can wheel me close to sink.
          We got an MND Association grant to buy a washer , dryer toilet which can be used by myself or if and when my arms and hands give up my carer/hubby can use the remote controls for me( could be quite the experience).We had pull down rails either side of the toilet and allowed enough space for if a hoist is needed to lower me on to the toilet.
          Then of course there was non slip flooring,Tiles, heated towel rail and bigger radiator to install.We were lucky to know a plumber who took the lead and co ordinated it to completion.
          We didn’t have the most expensive washer dryer toilet) clo o mat and geberit) but went for the cheaper bio bidet 1000.
          We knew we wouldn’t qualify for a grant and it did cost £8000 but would have costed more by various companies.One company quoted £30000.Another company tried to persuade me my bedroom en-suite which is tiny could be converted to a wetroom for £25.000 when clearly wasn’t big enough for if I will need equipment and fully hoisting.
          It’s a nightmare how much being disabled costs.I am aware for those who qualify for grants there are waiting lists etc.
          Best wishes Mary.

Comment

Our wet room cost just over £9000, the loo cost 4k of that.
            Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
            Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
            Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

My loo wasn’t a full system like clos o mat or Geberit I went for the cheaper Bio Bidet 1000 which was under £700(can’t just recall exact amount)Geberit quoted £3000 to supply and fit their washer dryer toilet system.
              Be warned though I am still waiting to find a shower chair that fits over the bio bidet without interfering with the sensors.Ongoing saga with hospice OT trying to resolve this issue..
              Best wishes Mary.

Comment

Hi Mary

I have the biobidet 1000 too and also had to resolve the shower chair problem. I have a freeway (T40 I think) from Prism. The biobidet was supplied with a copper strip fixed on the seat to trick it into thinking the seat was occupied so that the bidet would work.

Ask your OT to call the seat suppliers to discuss using a shower chair over the bidet.

Andy
                Sporadic MND/ALS - Limb onset - Diagnosed May 2016
                night time NIPPY, cough assist, PEG (not currently used)

Today is the tomorrow I feared yesterday

Comment

Years ago we had a thing called saniflow that meant thin bore pipes for drainage. This meant bathrooms anywhere in a house for a lot less money. 😄x
                  Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Im sure you can still get them.

Comment

In response to Andy B..yes we have a T40:shower chair and use the copper strip technique.The OT is coming today with another shower chair.The shape of the toilet we have doesn’t allow the bio bidet to be pushed back further.In turn this prevents the shower chair going far enough back over the bio bidet seat.One solution is to take the toilet itself out and replace with one that makes bio bidet move further back and then the shower chair should go over it...what a saga .Best wishes.Mary

Comment

Hi Mary, I know exactly what you mean. Being a man I’m able to use a bottle to overcome the problem. Could do with the T40 redesigning to get us further back on the toilet.
                        Please update this thread when you have a solution.

Andy x
                        Sporadic MND/ALS - Limb onset - Diagnosed May 2016
                        night time NIPPY, cough assist, PEG (not currently used)

Today is the tomorrow I feared yesterday

Comment

Hi Andy,well OT arrived yesterday with a rep and shower chair number 3.He did a bit of measuring etc and is going to customise the chair to fit over the bio bidet..Seeing is believing.If and when the shower chair arrives I will get you the name of the company who customised the chair.Ongoing saga.
                          Best wishes
                          Mary

Comment

Really hope that finally works for you, Mary. 🤞🤞🤞 x
                            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

We converted part of our garage to a wet room. The cost was 25 K and the room is 2.7m x 2.5m. This included the construction work to latest insulation standardsand removing the downstairs cloakroom to provide the access through to the garage.
                              The room was fitted out well with Geberit toilet under floor heating, heated towel rail, pump powered shower, motion sensitive lights and all the associated grab rails.
                              I would suggest a discussion with your OT.
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X