Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are eye lids affected by MND?

Good afternoon all,

Just that really – my right eyelid seems to be doing rather funny things and I wondered if this was an MND thing or whether it is something else?
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder– Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Yes, the muscles which enable eyelids to open and close are voluntary, and can be affected in ease of opening, closing or they droop.

My own eyelids are very difficult to open if I'm not uprigt and I haven't been able to wink for a long time..
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Good afternoon Ellie

Thank you

Oh joy! For some reason I thought eye lids were not voluntary
      Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder– Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

I have recently been having facilitations in both eyes and my nose which moves my glasses. Very disconcerting 😁

Comment

Oh damn. Stephen was complaining about his eye lids and I told him to stop being stupid. Whoops 😁

Comment

It just keeps giving doesn't it.
            Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Fancy that! Hubby has a right sided eyelid droop, his MND is much worse on his right side.

Comment

Oh bloody great, still, I have an excuse for winking at the ladies, but doubt the blokes are gonna be impressed.
                Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
                Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
                Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

Beemer

you never know your luck!

😄

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                    Beemer

you never know your luck!

😄
                    I'm all for new experiences, but I think I will pass on that one Denise.
                    Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
                    Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
                    Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

Comment

Good morning,

I'm afraid I have no mind to treat this with levity this morning.

The line I have in my head at the moment is "I had no idea that MND would make me blind".

Intellectually I'm interested that it is my right eye lid that is affected because I had Bell's Palsy some time ago – for those that do not know this is caused by inflammation of the 7th cranial nerve where it goes through a little bony port in the middle ear and that inflammation causes the nerve fibre to swell and therefore jams the signal. This in turn caused the right side of my face to drop including my eye blink not working and my tears ceasing to run so leading to potential damage to my cornea. In fact, I found GP that knew all about it and she had me zap the infection with antivirals and steroids and it went away over a period of about 2 weeks and had no more trouble.

Although this happenstance for me had my neurologist looking for other inflammation in my spine that might be implicated in my MND although didn't find any.

So I'm wondering if this is the long-term effects of Bells Palsy coming back to haunt me
                        Warmly

Andy

Comment

Well I can tell you that both eyelids tremor regularly but my tears still flow. Guess we can't all be lucky. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by nunhead_man View Post
                            So I'm wondering if this is the long-term effects of Bells Palsy coming back to haunt me
                            Take a course of antivirals and/or steroids to see if it improves?? That may answer your question.

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

If my eyelids close then that'll be it for me. The only enjoyment I have left is seeing and listening.
                              Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Working...
                              X