Wheelchairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchairs

We currently have the loan of a push wheelchair and now considering an electric job to get out n about.
    Can anyone recommend one that would suit outdoors but also fit in the back of a hatchback? (Audi Q2)
    Thanks, Dave
    Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
    Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
    Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

When you say go in the back, do you mean easy to take apart. I.e. are you sat in the front of the car

Comment

Originally posted by Bowler View Post
      When you say go in the back, do you mean easy to take apart. I.e. are you sat in the front of the car
      Yes, folding/take apart portable type. I would be sat in the front of the car.
      Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020

Comment

Dave. We had a power chair that was easy to remove the seat and battery. I’ll try uploading a couple of pics and a link. The battery is quite heavy.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The chair was a karma. We bought it as nearly new for about £750. It lasted Ann about 3 years.

https://www.karmamobility.co.uk/prod...ower-standard/

Comment

Hi Dave,

If want a power wheelchair that is lightweight and portable, and doesn’t require dismantling before putting in the boot then consider this https://store.easylivingmobility.co....8aAi3kEALw_wcB
            I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Beemer,

another option is a travel scooter, you need a hoist fitting in the back of your car so have to be selective what car you drive - if you look on Brigayd web site it says which scooters fit which cars. It was easy enough to learn how to do the hoist, again though scooters weigh about 8 st not liftable. Alberts is a "gogo"

Downside...........I am just about to sell my car as Albert can no longer get on the scooter and into the car...........they are knocking me £250 off the value to "Remove" the hoist probably 4 bolts......

Either a scooter or wheelchair get yerself a banana board............worth their weight in gold

Sue
              Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Hi Dave, a man I know has an I-Go Plus, a model up from the one Barry posted the link to. It gives him better support than the lower priced model and is of a higher spec *but* he has ALS and thought he needed the extra support to let him use the chair for longer and, of course it's more expensive - slower progressors wouldn't have that concern so much.

I have no idea if this is the best price for it, it's just to show you the chair: https://glebehealthcare.co.uk/produc...4aAkD4EALw_wcB

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Beemer

Alber e motion provide a kit that motorises a wheelchair. It's not a cheap option but we wanted to travel through europe and the uk while I still could. So we went for a v light folding wheelchair with e motion via the motability scheme. It's v flexible, uses new (v light and small) battery technology and my wife can get it in our Audi A3's boot, which is not large. It's done a lot of mileage and we travelled extensively. It's pretty nippy and goes 10 miles on one charge.

However, if you want a REAL wheelchair ...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R5VLdWH254

Not convinced I'd be allowed it in the house or supermarket though!

Good luck

Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

Well I did ask
                    I was looking at the igos, and the kit that motorises the wheelchair, love the tracked version, road or path? beware pushchairs
                    I quite like the label Slower Progressor Ellie
                    Scooter no good with my useless arms
                    Food for thought thanks everyone.
                    Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Beemer View Post
                      I quite like the label Slower Progressor Ellie
                      Sounds like a very un-PC term that would have been used for schoolchildren who needed extra help many years ago. Mind you, my secondary school had a "remedial" class, and that was in the 1980s !!

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
                      X