• Show
Clear All

• Ellie
    replied
    Yes, you're right Heather, get checked out. xx

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    Thanks for asking, Ellie. Yes the soreness has just about gone now, thank goodness. I am just left with feeling so tired and not really well. I have had it fixed in my mind that this was because of lungs weakening, but respiratory physio doesn't seem to think I have a problem so tomorrow I am going to ask my GP, because surely I don't have to be this tired, there may be something else causing it.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Heather R How are things now Heather, any pain now? xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    For peace of mind Heather, contact the PEG Nurse if you are worried, that's what they're there for.

You can expect some degree of pain for the first 2 weeks or so while the site heals and before the stitches come out - often the stitches are responsible for much of the discomfort. Have yours been removed yet? Might you be washing it too often, more than once a day?

When I had my long tube, I always closed the clamp - if the port cap were to open accidentally, it would stop my clothes being covered in the contents of my stomach!!

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Have you tried Aloe Vera on the site? It works for me.

Leave a comment:

• GaryM
    replied
    Originally posted by Heather R View Post
    Should the stoma site still feel sore after 11 days? Keep washing it and drying it when it hurts because any dried bit of secretion can irritate. Also, I watched a video about using the PEG, and once they finished with cleaning out tube and screwed the end on, they undid the clip. I have left the clip clamped on the tube between flushes, have I got that wrong? Thanks anyone x
    Abbott nurse told me to leave clip loose, and that's what we've done.

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    Should the stoma site still feel sore after 11 days? Keep washing it and drying it when it hurts because any dried bit of secretion can irritate. Also, I watched a video about using the PEG, and once they finished with cleaning out tube and screwed the end on, they undid the clip. I have left the clip clamped on the tube between flushes, have I got that wrong? Thanks anyone x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Heather R View Post
    I only put water down, but somehow murkiness creeps up to the clip
    Even tubes with a valve or clamp can get back flow of stomach contents, up to the clamp on tubes with clamps - might not look the prettiest, but it's not dirt πŸ™‚

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    I only put water down, but somehow murkiness creeps up to the clip

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    Many thanks, Ellie. That's reassuring. It's the first time I have used the plunger, so don't know what is normal. Because it was first time, it was probably a bit tentative. yes I mean flush out. I will try to be more sensible about when I do it xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Heather R Don't you know that nothing is too delicate to discuss here πŸ™‚

The seepage you describe sounds normal for a stoma site so soon after your tube was placed. If it has an odour, unexplained fresh blood and is painful, that's when there may be an infection or something wrong.

When you say "wash out the tube", do you mean to flush water through it? It is probably best not to do it on a full stomach if you're flushing in a lot of water, 60ml should be fine though. Maybe in these early weeks, flush into an empty-ish stomach so, if there is resistance, you know it's not because your stomach is full.

My flushes are always done with the plunger, but there should not be resistance against the plunger, that'd mean some type of blockage *but*, as you only put water through your tube, that's unlikely - unless you ate 10 breakfasts πŸ˜€

Maybe your interpretation of "force" is different to mine - was there much resistance or do you think you pushed the plunger down with relatively normal pressure?

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    Originally posted by Stonehengeman View Post
    I have had a peg for over 18 months. I am not using it yet. I have to flush it once a day. It has leaked from day one and is still seeping daily, but not a problem. I can still swallow if the food is wet/moist. To that end my wife blends/liquidise my main course meals. Meat and 2 veg goes not have much taste when they are all mixed together. I have lost my speech so communicate with a boogie board. I just think I have been fortunate that the MND has not advanced. Hope all has gone well for you. Edwin John S
    If it's not too delicate matter to discuss here, what colour and consistency is your seepage? Mine is sort of sticky and crusts, opaque buff colour, sometimes reddy. Also, is there a right time of day to wash out the tube? I tried to wash mine through after breakfast, which is maybe not sensible. It didn't go down as fast as before using gravity, and seemed to stop. So I forced the last bit through with plunger. Is that right/wrong? Thanks anyone x

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    The pain goes but the love never leaves. πŸ˜‡

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    Matthew, presumably 9 months refers to your daughter, that must have been heartbreaking and not something you can ever forget, I guess. Sending hugs x

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    Just discovered after an uncomfortable week with stabbing pain when I move, that it doesn’t have to be so! Dietician came yesterday and loosened the PEG, and difference is incredible! Xx

Leave a comment:

Working...
X