No announcement yet.

Walking aids for the armless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ellie, sorry I should have been clearer the sheepskins are covers to go over the footrest... They're fab and so comfortable! ! I'm looking on Amazon for socks to match !

The splints are called aircasts and hold my feet straight on the wheelchair. Unlike yours my feet were turning outwards so they were on their side. Im going to try sleeping in them tonight. l will see how I get on and post a photo.

Yes sorry to interupt Andy... it's typical of divas ! 👸 🤴

Love Debbie x

Comment

Thanks Andy and Richard for raising your issues. Whilst I can walk short distances with my rollator I have trouble getting up off a chair unless it has arms. My dining chair doesn’t so I hold onto the table to push myself up. Maybe I ought to get a carver chair.
      Recently my right ankle has been collapsing, resulting in a few falls and I thought it was connected to the break I sustained a few years ago but your comments have changed my views.
      When I fell over in the bathroom last week I thought I’d broken my ankle because of the pain. This went on for several days and I considered going to A&E for an X-ray but knowing we were due to go away for a few days I put it off and used an ice pack and painkillers. 10 days later and the pain has subsided so it’s obviously not broken. Ellie suggestion of physio sounds good so I will discuss this with my consultant who has arranged a video session next Wednesday.

onwards and upwards or in my case often downwards lol.
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Barry

Stephen has been struggling to get out of his armchair so I brought in one of our very comfortable garden chairs with arms just like a carvers chair. It's made such a difference.

sorry to hear about your fall and ankle. Hope it's soon better.

love and hugs Denise xxx
        when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

I was warned very early on about arms and balance, so am aware of the issue. My MND has, so far, only affected all my fingers (left hand worst, no grip strength at all, but i can still use them) and my left wrist.
          I was thinking about this from the moment i read your post. It sounds awful, but a baby walker for adults seemed to me to be the only solution. It would allow the legs to be used freely, and a bit of arm for directions. I wonder if anyone has designed such a thing?.
          Mum died with MND in 1979 – My sister and I have a wonky gene, probably inherited from mum. Reckon my MND started sometime in 2018.

Comment

Working...
          X