Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EvelynMW
    replied
    I was warned very early on about arms and balance, so am aware of the issue. My MND has, so far, only affected all my fingers (left hand worst, no grip strength at all, but i can still use them) and my left wrist.
    I was thinking about this from the moment i read your post. It sounds awful, but a baby walker for adults seemed to me to be the only solution. It would allow the legs to be used freely, and a bit of arm for directions. I wonder if anyone has designed such a thing?.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Hi Barry

Stephen has been struggling to get out of his armchair so I brought in one of our very comfortable garden chairs with arms just like a carvers chair. It's made such a difference.

sorry to hear about your fall and ankle. Hope it's soon better.

love and hugs Denise xxx

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied
    Thanks Andy and Richard for raising your issues. Whilst I can walk short distances with my rollator I have trouble getting up off a chair unless it has arms. My dining chair doesn’t so I hold onto the table to push myself up. Maybe I ought to get a carver chair.
    Recently my right ankle has been collapsing, resulting in a few falls and I thought it was connected to the break I sustained a few years ago but your comments have changed my views.
    When I fell over in the bathroom last week I thought I’d broken my ankle because of the pain. This went on for several days and I considered going to A&E for an X-ray but knowing we were due to go away for a few days I put it off and used an ice pack and painkillers. 10 days later and the pain has subsided so it’s obviously not broken. Ellie suggestion of physio sounds good so I will discuss this with my consultant who has arranged a video session next Wednesday.

onwards and upwards or in my case often downwards lol.

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Ellie, sorry I should have been clearer the sheepskins are covers to go over the footrest... They're fab and so comfortable! ! I'm looking on Amazon for socks to match !

The splints are called aircasts and hold my feet straight on the wheelchair. Unlike yours my feet were turning outwards so they were on their side. Im going to try sleeping in them tonight. l will see how I get on and post a photo.

Yes sorry to interupt Andy... it's typical of divas ! πŸ‘Έ 🀴

Love Debbie x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Deb View Post
    I was given sheepskin footrests for my wheelchair ( i feel like a diva !)
    I have been out-divaed, for sure 😍

Are they covers for the footplates and/or the uprights, Debbie, or what?

Also, would you mind telling me which splints you were given to stop your feet turning inwards please - my feet look at each other at this stage!

Thanks.
    Love Ellie.

(Sorry Andy for interrupting)

Leave a comment:

• richard
    replied
    Originally posted by nunhead_man View Post
    Good afternoon Richard

Thank you for this – so it seems I'm not the only one that gets tired as day goes on.

I have just inherited a carver chair, I can get out of this carver chair by myself at least when I'm reasonably fresh
    Hi Andy I also did this and then when I found it difficult to get out I bought a thick cushion for the seat. No alas Im in a wheelchair.

Richard

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Hi Andy,

I went to the MND clinic last week with a long list of questions. Amongst other things I was given sheepskin footrests for my wheelchair and splints to stop my foot turning sideways in my chair and in bed. I was getting alot of ankle pain and a burning feeling in my feet.

The physios have been out this week to fine tune things and look at further aids to make life more comfortable. ( i feel like a diva !)

I know i am different from you as my weakness is in my legs and feet and I can't move them but I was surprised at how many options there are.

Good luck.
    Love Debbie x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    nunhead_man I thought you meant you were prescribed a different type of painkiller, sorry, not just a stronger opioid.

Andy, what about seeing a physiotherapist to assess the ankle, preferably a neurological one or at least one who understands neuromuscular conditions. Or better still, at the MND Clinic. It's always better to know what you're dealing with.

I had pain around joints for sure, as weak muscles were not holding joints aligned as they ought to, but I never had pain in my foot proper. When you say your ankle is stiff, is it that the muscle tone is high and slow to respond, or the joint itself is stiff?

I hope you get relief soon. xx

Leave a comment:

• nunhead_man
    replied
    Good afternoon Richard

Originally posted by richard View Post
    nunhead_man ... the getting up from a seat issue. My legs are now shot and I have to push myself up with my arms from my riser recliner seat and grab a walking frame to transfer to my wheelchair. As I get tired, even unknowingly, so say at 10pm it takes far more energy to get ups than it does during the day.
    Thank you for this – so it seems I'm not the only one that gets tired as day goes on.

In terms of symptoms you aare a little ahead of me in that as I am arm onset it is the pushing up that is difficult my legs work reasonably well still albeit they are a little stiff. I have just inherited a carver chair which in case you do not know is part of a set of chairs to go around the table where one has arms as well as legs and this particular one has quite a high back. While I cannot get out of 1 of our dining chairs I can get out of this carver chair by myself at least when I'm reasonably fresh

Leave a comment:

• nunhead_man
    replied
    Good afternoon Ellie,

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
    What pain meds are you now on - anti-inflammatory/NSAID, nerve pain etc? That should give you a big clue as to why they are more effective for that particular pain. Also, I don't know why you were prescribed antibiotics, but maybe their effect on any infection is important too?
    Thank you - the GP has prescribed dihydrocodeine, which I understand is opioid based. I have taken 2 tablets so far today and am still in some pain – about 5 on the scale of 1 to 10

The antibiotics were Prescribed due to infection being 1 of the 3 guesses that the GP had about why I was in pain, the other 2 being gout (although the pain was in the wrong place that) and my favourite which is some sort of physical damage caused by MND arising from the short walk to the GP 10 days ago and exacerbated today for example by my moving around the house.

Has anyone here have any experience of pain in their feet as their legs began to go?

I do not have foot drop in the classic sense but my right ankle is certainly very stiff and does not have much movement.

Leave a comment:

• richard
    replied
    nunhead_man Hi Andy I can understand not thinking that your hands help you balance but then when you think back to being a child when we stood up high on things we would always be moving our arms to keep our balance.

I can understand the getting up from a seat issue. My legs are now shot and I have to push myself up with my arms from my riser recliner seat and grab a walking frame to transfer to my wheelchair. As I get tired, even unknowingly, so say at 10pm it takes far more energy to get ups than it does during the day.

Sorry to hear about the screaming pain in your foot. Was it Tramadol they gave you? I was prescribed that to deal with excruciating cramps/muscle spasms when I have stupidly stretched or twisted myself to reach for something. They are superb but I have had to agree that I only use them for the occasional acute pain as they are addictive.

Richard.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by nunhead_man View Post
    ... she prescribed antibiotics and a different painkiller than that which I usually use for gout ( and opioid) and lo and behold this morning I've taken no more painkillers my ankle and foot are not shouting at me with pain.
    What pain meds are you now on - anti-inflammatory/NSAID, nerve pain etc? That should give you a big clue as to why they are more effective for that particular pain. Also, I don't know why you were prescribed antibiotics, but maybe their effect on any infection is important too?

Leave a comment:

• nunhead_man
    replied
    Good morning all,

Thank you for your responses – I've got the point that when your arms go that affects your balance – it never occurred to me that arms were important in balancing your body.

I had my wonderful National Health Service occupational therapist around yesterday because I'd said to her that I thought it was time I had a neck collar because my neck gets quite tired by the end of the day.So I am wearing 1 of those as I voice dictate today, standing at my desk.

And she ended up with a rather long shopping list including getting the physiotherapist out to have a look at my ankle as I haven't yet quite got foot drop but my right ankle is quite stiff, She took away the walking stick that I've been provided with as mentioned above and said she thought it was about time we started the process of getting both manual and electric wheelchair so that it was here when we needed it.

One other thing we were playing with is about me getting up and down from a seating position and it is weird but that is quite variable because this morning I could get out of the dining chair by myself where as last night I needed help - Perhaps tiredness is more of a factor as I get deeper into this disease?

Final bit of news is that I had a screaming pain in my right foot after walking up to my doctors surgery 10 minutes round the corner on Thursday last week so we called the doctor out last night, she prescribed antibiotics and a different painkiller than that which I usually use for gout ( and opioid) and lo and behold this morning I've taken no more painkillers my ankle and foot are not shouting at me with pain. No idea what's been going on there as the position of the pain was not 1 which is usually hit by gout but my GP is on a mission to find out.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    I have a walking frame for Stephen but his hands and arm strength means it's not going to be useful. Should have thought of that. 😟

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    I have my very first walking stick and giving it a trial run tomorrow 😁x

Leave a comment:

Working...
X